Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting over vinyl flooring

thinking about using semi-gloss latex paint on my vinyl flooring and then polyurethane over that. Can that be done?

tfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Can it be done? Yes.
Should it be done? Absolutely not. If the floor is that bad, it needs to be replaced.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes you can poly over paint. Although I'm not sure how well paint is going to adhere to a vinyl floor.
twostuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,146

Less hassle, much cheaper in the long run to just replace.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you must paint the vinyl, use something like Benjamin Moore's Floor and Patio acrylic product. It is epoxy reinforced. You could try the oil based alkyd product also. It is urethane reinforced. Both are excellent products. Both are self priming (not to be confused with primer and paint in one) and comes in many colors. I am sure Sherwin Williams and other real paint stores have similar products.

Don't use cheap box store paint, for anything but especially not for painting a floor or porch. The problem with semi-gloss is that it will not stick well to the vinyl without a primer and primers are not useful for floors. You would also have to let the semi-gloss cure for 30 days before putting the urethane on.

Adhesion of any paint to vinyl is going to be the real issue. If the floor is going to get any wear at all do not expect much from any paint. I painted the vinyl floor of an art gallery bathroom in a nice checkerboard pattern and custom colors. It has lasted five years or more and still looks nice. It gets very little foot traffic though and nothing gets dragged across it.

And add touch up painting it to your regular maintenance list if you paint vinyl. I guess if you are just trying to sell the place and the vinyl is just dated but in good shape painting it might be worth a try.

As hinted in an earlier post you might be better off just getting some new vinyl. It is not especially expensive and you may be able to pick up a remnant or roll end for chimp change.

Last edited by user1007; 05-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote