Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #1

Share |

Painting over unknown paint?

Newbe here.....I've been reading a lot here lately since I'm getting ready to close on an older home with wood siding. It seems to be solid and in really good shape, and my home inspector said the same thing. The exterior paint is really not in bad shape at all with very little if any mildew visable, even at the ground level. I have no idea what kind of paint it is, but I really don't like the color at all and want to do a complete exterior painting job. I want a long, long term job of course.

I have painted 3 houses and have a pretty good idea on what to do and the house is one level and low. I can do it all off of an 8 foot step ladder. I would like some opinions if anyone has time however.

1) I've looked at the paint pretty close and see no areas that need to be scrapped or sanded. I want to use the best premium paint and have been looking at Porter or Sherman Williams. Any preferences? Should I be concerned putting expensive paint on this house not knowing what I'll be painting over?

2) I do own a pressure washer that you can add cleaning chemicals. What should I use to clean the existing paint with if anything at all? Should I use a long handles brush also? Say one of those RV brushes, or is it not needed?

3) I will be recaulking windows, doors, joints, etc for my own peace of mind after washing. What is the best long term caulking for this?

4) I have a friend that has a 7/8 hg wagner airless sprayer. Is spraying better than brushing? I know it's faster, but I'm not looking at saving time, but rather doing the best job I can that will last the longest. If brushing is best, what kind/sizes of brushes would be best to use?

I guess that's all I can think of right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Randall53

Last edited by Randall53; 08-24-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Randall53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Randall, Welcome to the forum
1) Thanks for posting an introduction
2) On this post thanks for including the back-up info

There are some real paint pro's on this Forum (not me) that will give you excellent advice. You might enjoy a "Search" result of folks that have asked a similar question on 'Paint' & 'House.
http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php?searchid=937784

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Before anyone can answer all your questions properly, you must first dertermine what is on the house,latex or oil, then your ? can be answered. Wipe some Goof Off( or denatured alcohol) on a spot and see if it comes off
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #4

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
Newbe here.....I've been reading a lot here lately since I'm getting ready to close on an older home with wood siding. It seems to be solid and in really good shape, and my home inspector said the same thing. The exterior paint is really not in bad shape at all with very little if any mildew visable, even at the ground level. I have no idea what kind of paint it is, but I really don't like the color at all and want to do a complete exterior painting job. I want a long, long term job of course.

I have painted 3 houses and have a pretty good idea on what to do and the house is one level and low. I can do it all off of an 8 foot step ladder. I would like some opinions if anyone has time however.

1) I've looked at the paint pretty close and see no areas that need to be scrapped or sanded. I want to use the best premium paint and have been looking at Porter or Sherman Williams. Any preferences? Should I be concerned putting expensive paint on this house not knowing what I'll be painting over?

2) I do own a pressure washer that you can add cleaning chemicals. What should I use to clean the existing paint with if anything at all? Should I use a long handles brush also? Say one of those RV brushes, or is it not needed?

3) I will be recaulking windows, doors, joints, etc for my own peace of mind after washing. What is the best long term caulking for this?

4) I have a friend that has a 7/8 hg wagner airless sprayer. Is spraying better than brushing? I know it's faster, but I'm not looking at saving time, but rather doing the best job I can that will last the longest. If brushing is best, what kind/sizes of brushes would be best to use?

I guess that's all I can think of right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Randall53

As Chrisn pointed out , before you begin you must determine what is on the house now, oil or latex.

In my product suggestions below I'm assuming you will be able to go with a latex product. If oil is on the house Ben Moore also makes a great oil product, but I prefer latex on my exteriors.

1. What product you use I'll leave up to you. I live in Maine, we have very harsh winter weather. There are 3 major paint stores in my area. Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams , and ICI Dulux. For the first 8 years of my painting career I used Ben Moore products , excellent paint never had a problem. However Ben moores prices kept going up and up so I was forced to charge my customers more. So I decided to give ICI Dulux a try. Again Excellent paint, and I was saving at least $5.00 per gallon. I've been using ICI Dulux for the past 20 years with no complaints. Never been a fan of Sherwin Williams, I know a lot of people love this paint, but the few times I used it (sub contracting for other painting contractors) there were issues with the quality of the product. I do recommend Sherwin Williams Duration and Woodscapes products, but that's as far as I'm willing to go. Woodscapes is a stain so no need for a link.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/...rior/index.jsp

I use Dulux Fortis or Dulux Professional Exterior 100% Acrylic Finish for my exteriors. https://www.duluxpaints.com/paintPro...do?catalogId=6

Or I'd recommend any of the top 3 on this page depending on the sheen you want.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...h_findproducts

2. Pressure washing , I'm not a fan, in my opinion very overrated. If your house is free of mold and mildew and is not chalky (run your fingers along the house, if they have a powdered substance on them it needs washing, if not don't) then don't use the power washer on it. No need to force all that moisture into the building if it's clean.

3. I use this caulk, Never had any problems with it.
http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...175&SubcatID=3

4. Spraying, again I'm not a huge fan. I do spray but only Interior - New Construction Primer coat and finish on ceilings every thing else I cut and roll. Exterior - Fences and Lattice work. Everything else I brush.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #5

Thank you JMD for your excellent reply. That's really the information I was seeking. I do have latex by the way and I will be be studying your suggestions on brands and see what I can find in my area.

Also, thanks for the ideas on pressure washing!! I thought it was always necessary. The paint on my house is really pretty clean with little if any chalking and no mildew. I may just wash it down with an RV brush rather than high pressure. It does need new caulking and your reply helped with that also.

Thanks Again,

Randall53
Randall53 is offline   Reply With Quote