Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

Share |

Painting over stucco INSIDE house?

We just bought a 50's house in California and we've been renovating like crazy - but we just tore out some crappy paneling and found that the interior wall of our master bedroom is stucco - turns out the master bedroom addition was literally added onto the back of the house! How do we go about painting this? I know we should skim coat (though i have no idea how) but I really want to make it look nice, and coherent with the rest of the walls, which are all standard drywall.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

renokatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #2

I'd rip the stucco down and hang drywall. Unless this is unusually smooth for stucco, I don't see skim coating as an option.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

I'm sure this is something you don't want to hear about, but...

"Have a professional test any existing stucco for asbestos. Older stucco often contains asbestos, which must be removed by a professional or encapsulated. Encapsulation means that the old stucco must be covered up entirely by new drywall if it is inside the home, or by plywood or some type of exterior thermal insulation sheeting if it is on the outside. Do not attempt to remove stucco containing asbestos on your own, as the dust it makes can cause lung disease or cancer when inhaled. Uncovered asbestos laden stucco can still make dust even if it is left alone, just by ordinary daily wear and tear on inside walls, and by weathering from wind, rain and ice on exterior walls. Asbestos use was banned in 1977, so new stucco does not contain asbestos."

I got that from: http://www.ehow.com/how_4460844_appl...-textures.html
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
I'd rip the stucco down and hang drywall. Unless this is unusually smooth for stucco, I don't see skim coating as an option.

SirWired
That would be really expensive and time consuming - we don't really have the liberty of this option.
renokatie is offline   Reply With Quote