Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #1

Share |

Painting over stucco cracks

What can I use to fill stucco cracks that will not peel or look shiny? If I power wash the cracks to remove all loose paint and stucco, is there a filler that could be applied like stucco, sponged out.

Cornerstone Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Depending on how wide and deep the cracks you can clean them out thoroughly and then inject them with a variety of fillers. Epoxy works well but can get pricey. If the cracks are extreme you may have some structural or thermal issues you need to address to alleviate the cracking.

Resurface with a stucco repair mix from your paint or building materials supply store. A box store is unlikely to carry anything useful. You can also mix up stucco if you have a lot of cracks to go over. It is not hard to do nor is it expensive. All kinds of formulas online.

I find a large car wash sponge works pretty well blending in texture. Stucco floats and other tools work well too of course.

Obviously you need to prime/seal your crack repairs before applying your finish coat. Do not race things between primer and finish paint coats.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

Sherwin Williams sells a stucco patching compound designed for use under its SherLastic stucco finish. If the cracks are not too deep, the SherLastic itself will bridge the cracks. True stucco paint is the way to go if you have unstable surfaces, it has elongation qualities that are superior to traditional paints. Take some photos of your surface to the store and ask what grade of product you need in patch/finish for your situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

And I forgot to mention. Pay close attention powerwashing stucco and watch the pressure setting or you will create problems. Do not try to use the powewasher as the primary means for crack prep or you will be sorry!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to nathan.hawk Send a message via Skype™ to nathan.hawk

Realize this thread is about 8 months old, but I'm glad someone brought up this topic. My home has stucco on the front side, and will need some repairs, where my wife and I pulled a plant that growing up on the stucco. The plant was very sticky and took off part of the stucco finish, leaving a poor look.
Information here will be good to look over when fixing repairs and painting over the area.
nathan.hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #6

Another vote for not deleting old threads. Glad it helped. Check back if you have any further questions Nathan.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-04-2012)