Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

painting over stained baseboards.

Can you use the paint with the primer and paint in one like Glidden paint and primer in one...

Jeanette Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

In a word- No.
They won't get the kind of adhesion on varnish that you need.
What i do is sand lightly to dull the finish, wipe off with a TSP substitute and prime with a good bonding primer. Anything less than this will not stick well.

See also the thread "to prime wood door or not". Similar info.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 07-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Paint Pro

You MUST prime if you want it to last. What you're looking for is a primer that will seal out the stain, and aggressively adhere to the existing clearcoat. lightly scuff, clean dust, then prime with XIM400. it is a xylene based (smelly) primer, but flashbonds and also seals very well. finish with a quality latex enamel
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Wow Ex- XIM400 is a really great bonder- but one of the most hard to work with, non laying out primers I've ever worked with. Even harder than BIN.
Might be a bit overkill?
I think there are other choices if the prep is done right.
And stained woodwork always has a finish on it, so it probably doesn't have any bleed issues.
dogris (07-25-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you use either the XIM or BIN products please make sure you have adequate ventilation and think about wearing an aspirator with appropriate cartridge. If you leave your HVAC system on, the fumes are likely to fill your house so think about staying elsewhere for a night or two.

I think both are overkill for your baseboards although I have used them both.

I personally would use a quality paint store bonding primer/underlay. My preference would be alkyd (will likely come in an solvent base though there are new waterbased formulas) as it is a great equalizer and you can put anything on it without worrying. A good bonding waterbased primer should work well too.

Don't skimp on the prep. You want the best adhesion you can pull off as you will be knocking against the baseboards on a regular basis and chips through a light paint color will really show.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Paint Pro

Xim 400 has an available additive specially made for the 400 to help ease of brushing. it is also available in spray cans. it is guaranteed to both strongly adhere, and seal any possible stain bleed. 100% guaranteed to work. if you use a nice hi-bild latex enamel over the top like ben moore impervex, or sherwin-williams Solo, or proclassic you can cut down on any brush strokes powering thru from the prime coat. . . also, sand the dried primer with 220 -320 grit. xim 400 dusts up smooth like a babys bottom
Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 18

Any other pros out there see a future of fixing up all the disasters caused by these paint/primer/stain blocker all in one paints? Ugh.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Any other pros out there see a future of fixing up all the disasters caused by these paint/primer/stain blocker all in one paints? Ugh.

we can only hope
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I bid for others now since I can no longer do the work myself. I have seen a big increase in the last year or so in requests from people who tried these products and are now stuck. Sadly, while most would have had the money to hire a pro before they bought the misleading stuff, they now do not especially since the prep work has to go up substantially to get rid of what is on the surface or skim coat around it. My folks cannot afford to do that for free. I honestly do not know what to tell people. I do not know if there is much work in fixing box store disasters or not. Marketing will probably come up with a designer "saggy drippy peely" look and try to convince consumers it is supposed to look the way it does. She is not aging so gracefully and the look could be perfect for Martha to claim?

The madness continues though. I guess the marketing message is just too tempting to pass up. I am wondering what they add to the all-in-one mix next in addition to paint/primer/stainblocker? Fertility drugs? Hair replacement fumes?

Last edited by user1007; 07-25-2012 at 05:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Paint Pro

hahhaha yea, sherwins harmony now has odor reducing technology that eats odors like baking soda. hilarious. . .. but maybe thats necessary in old folks homes