Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting over red walls

Hi all: I'm repainting a small deep red bathroom (took me 6 coats, wish I came here first to find out about tinting the primer) and I'm wondering if instead of using kilz or some other such primer, can I use left over paint? I've got various shades of light green and yellow, it's behr and benjamin moore, about 2 years old, has been stored properly and the consistency looks fine.

I hate to just dump this no longer needed paint, not to mention buying primer when I might not need it.

thanks
mary

keishoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

Painting over red walls

Absolutely. I do that all the time but it would depend on what color you are going to end up with as a finish coat. Sometimes you can make your job harder if you put an even stranger color on the walls and then try to cover that with a finish color. The Benjamin moore is what I would use first. What color do you want to end up with ?

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Painting over red walls

Hi: I'm probably going to paint it a light tan color, or something off white - not dark, though. I should point out the paint smells ok, too - I've opened old paint that's gone rancid, and know the difference.

Also, from what I've read, I gather I should lightly sand the walls before I put anything on it?

thanks
keishoos is offline   Reply With Quote