DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting over panelling - seek advice

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
I am a new member and this is my first post.. I have a basement with dark panelling and seek advice. I was going to see about having someone remove the panelling, and put up drywall and paint it but several men who looked at the job said that it would be easier to just paint over the panelling.... the problem is, I don't really like all the grooves between the lines..... I was wondering about using wallpaper liner and then painting over that...... or is there some other product that anyone recommends to use over panelling to cover up the grooves and smooth it out and then paint over it??? I appreciate any advice

deb14905

#2 ·
What has worked or me in the past is:

Scuff sanding the paneling

Priming with BIN (shellac-based primer)

Smoothing joint compound (drywaller's "mud") into the cracks with (drywall) taper's knife

Sanding to smooth, (re)priming the repair areas with a regular primer

Painting with two coats quality latex paint

#4 ·
Ive done a few nearly the way slick suggested, i found it a lot of work - i guess there is drywall or similar beneath the panelling, i would find someone to remove it and skim the surface, a good tradesman wouldnt need to do a lot of finishing, then its off to prime and paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.