Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Painting over new drywall

Hi, I recently hung all new drywall in a room and am in the mudding and sanding stage. I will soon be ready to prime and paint.

My question is: what is the best type of paint and primer to use on new drywall? Oil or latex?

I assume latex will be fine but just want to make sure.

Also, if drywall tape is slightly showing through the mud in some areas, not to the point that you can feel the tape but can kinda see the fiberglass grids through the mud....will Kilz cover that or will it still show through the paint when finished?

Thanks,

Jay

Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

First of all, any imperfections you can see before painting, you'll see after painting. Even with some slight texture, you'll still see them. If you're okay with that, so be it. If not, you need to build it up a little more with mud, then carefully smooth it.

Opinions will vary, regarding what brand to use. But what you need is to prime it first - possibly with two coats of the proper primer - then paint it.

I'd advise using both latex primer and paint. Do not use the "paint with primer" stuff that's supposedly so popular right now. It won't do the job you need done.

The sheen you choose is up to you. I always paint walls with "satin" and if I paint the trim, I use semi-gloss.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

Zinsser 123 latex will be fine.
Should have used paper tape not web tape.
Yes it's going to show through, sounds like you sanded to much off. With web tape your going to have to use wider seams to even it out.
Your better off going to a real paint store to get your paint.
Your going to need two coats, no primer in one!
jaytat77 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #4

You have discovered one of the pitfalls of mesh tape,when you sand it down to almost level you can see the grid. If you put enough mud on to hide the grid you have a hump you have to feather out a lot farther. As stated 123 primer and 2 coats of a quality paint will work. As for oil primer and paint it is now outlawed in some states and you can't even buy it. This is with good reason such as the solvents used for clean-up are strong and harmful.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #5

No one wants to be a guiney pig for the new P&P stuff, so I'm going to try it myself this weekend. 2,420 sq'ft of new level 4 drywall.
It will get two coats satin P&P(not Behr), no primer, sanded between coats.

I will be sure to document thoroughly with picks, vids, and adhesion tests. We will see!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

When I use mesh tape, I always set it with hot ( powdered- setting type) mud and top with premixed. Then no problem because the hot mud is harder.
Prime with a primer- good way to go, cheaper coat , will need prime and 2 finish.
Prime with the new All in wonders, will still need 2-3 coats- but color will be there right away.
If going to anything but flat I would recommend real primer first.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayspaint View Post
no one wants to be a guiney pig for the new p&p stuff, so i'm going to try it myself this weekend. 2,420 sq'ft of new level 4 drywall.
It will get two coats satin p&p(not behr), no primer, sanded between coats.

I will be sure to document thoroughly with picks, vids, and adhesion tests. We will see!

p&p ???

Oh, and one coat of primer is all you need
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn

p&p ???
Paint & Primer. I want to see if it will really work like they say it will. It will be my first time not priming raw rock for a satin finish.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

I don't think you've gotten answers that fully considered your question.

If you cannot feel the mesh at all - only just barely see (for example, the bright yellow color) - then paint will cover it with no problem.

Quality paints such as Sherwin Williams Super Paint or Duration, or Benjamin Moore Aura, and yes even the top of the line Behr paint, will cover bare drywall without primer, at least in flat. Await Jmayspaint report for eggshell/satin.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
jaytat77 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
When I use mesh tape, I always set it with hot ( powdered- setting type) mud and top with premixed.
Paper tape/mud is stronger than mesh tape/mud, so if using mesh for anything but a small coverup, setting compound is the choice to compensate for lack of strength.

Paper tape/setting is stronger still, and something I'd recommend in a garage, for example, since it's semi-exterior.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

OK- but not in a garage, I use it all the time. I just use it right.

And it is easier to use on repairs , when used right , than paper tape which tends to have dry spots under it unless you are very good at using it, which most DIY are not, and either am I , a 35 year vet of painting, but not taping.
And you? a roofer..
chrisn (08-02-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

jmayspaint i've tried painting p&p on bare drywall and ive done repairs in home where others have done it.
i do not recommend it!
yes it will adhere to drywall board. no it will not adhere to drywall compound.
theres a good chance that the mudded sections will flash after second coat and need a 3rd coat. and the paint easily peels off where there is drywall mud.
the finished product looks good but will not stand the test of time.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
And it is easier to use on repairs , when used right , than paper tape which tends to have dry spots under it unless you are very good at using it, which most DIY are not
Yes, it's much easier to fully embed mesh than tape. And takes 1 less step too.

Paper: compound, tape, compound
Mesh: tape, compound

Quote:
And you? a roofer..
huh?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
OK- but not in a garage, I use it all the time. I just use it right.

And it is easier to use on repairs , when used right , than paper tape which tends to have dry spots under it unless you are very good at using it, which most DIY are not, and either am I , a 35 year vet of painting, but not taping.
And you? a roofer..
Mesh tape is much safer for the DIY crowd especially if you plan on using setting mud. Too dry a mix and the paper won't even stick. When paper tape fails it is usually a big mess. When mesh tape fails it is usually just a small crack easily repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
jmayspaint i've tried painting p&p on bare drywall and ive done repairs in home where others have done it.
i do not recommend it!
yes it will adhere to drywall board. no it will not adhere to drywall compound.
theres a good chance that the mudded sections will flash after second coat and need a 3rd coat. and the paint easily peels off where there is drywall mud.
the finished product looks good but will not stand the test of time.
And that is why even with flat paint you should prime first. It's not just sealing the surface wich a lot of straight paints can do but it is also adhesion which a real primer does best. But if people must use the paint and primer in one, go ahead....... we pros make a living of fixing messes.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #15

yup agreed! i do painting, drywall and trim carpentry for a living. i try to keep up with times and try and educate myself with new products and new better ways to do things. i've tried the paint and primer in one and as i said it does not work well. the only time i paint bare drywall is when i do a painters patch and i dry roll my patches with wall color and then do 2 coats on top of that.
i've repaired a large job where ben moore aura was used on bare drywall and it was a mess! paint was peeling all over. and i also did a repair job where ben moore regal was used and same results.
i did my own job with dulux diamond(my favorite paint) and i had the same results peeling where the compound is.
i also tried it with manor hall and same results.
always always always prime with a real primer then 2 coats of quality wall paint.

The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
jaytat77 (08-02-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
latex, oil, paint, primer, tape