Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
kcr

Share |

Painting over masonite and lino flooring

What type of paint do you use to paint masonite flooring and linoleum too?

kcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Do you really mean it's a partical board floor?

Both should not be painted.
Masonite is not meant to be a finished floor.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr View Post
What type of paint do you use to paint masonite flooring and linoleum too?
Wow, I don't think I would even attempt to paint a masonite floor. I've painted masonite on the walls with some success but would be scared to death to paint a floor. The foot traffic would take a toll on the paint film and fail rather quickly in my opinion.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #4

My inlaws have a beach house that has painted masonite flooring in much of the common areas and all of the bedrooms. The house was renovated 10 years ago and the floors were painted then. They have stood up to a ton of abuse, and lots of sand, and still look great.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It is kind of nice to see painted floors coming back into consideration. You can do a lot with paint and it is a great way to rescue wood and other floors that are essentially intact but discolored. With some creativity and attention to layout and design you can get some nice effects.

I've never painted a vinyl floor but have done TEMPERED masonite---not to be confused with luan, UNTEMPERED masonite or particle board often used under vinyl. I wouldn't shy away from putting a urethane (oil based) or epoxy (latex based) reinforced floor paint on your TEMPERED masonite top layer of flooring. Many artists use it all the time for paintings. Benjamin Moore porch and floor or whatever it is called comes to mind for floors. It should hold up as well as any painted or clear coated floor surface so long as it has the floor surface has some thickness to it and is flat and adhered to a decent subfloor and does not flex a lot. Flexing would of course warp the paint film and could flake it off almost instantly.

I am not surprised the beach house floors mentioned are holding up even to sand. The newer porch and floor paints are very durable and a couple coats yield the same you could expect out of polyurethane or epoxy wood or bamboo clear finishes---same chemistry and properties. I'm told the silicon reinforced industrial products are even tougher and more resilient but very pricey and come in limited colors.

I would be concerned about painting the vinyl although and expecting a particularly long life out of it. I have read extensively that it can be done and have seen gallery bathrooms with painted vinyl tile floors that seem to be holding up. I guess if you can prep properly there is no reason it should not work. Adhesion would be the challenge. Getting every last bit of wax or floor polish and grease and grime off linoleum would certainly be key and if you have a large expanse I should think and industrial floor scrubber is in your future as part of the prep. All your detergent and dead wax residue will have to be rinsed and neutralized thoroughly too.

I seem to remember reading that even though porch and floor paints are generally self-priming, a bonding primer is recommended when painting vinyl flooring.

I guess one thought to pass along? If you are thinking of painting small linoleum areas, you can pick up remnants of nice vinyl in a myriad of colors and patterns for chimp change. If you make yourself paper templates, installing new vinyl is a doable DIY project. Even replacing vinyl in a large area might be cheaper than all the prep and cost of porch and floor paint. I haven't bought any in awhile but remember it not being especially inexpensive.

Last edited by user1007; 04-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Painting linoleum is not recommended- it should be replaced. This is espcially critical in a bathroom or kitchen, where the floor is cleaned regularly.

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote