Painting Over Green Interior Walls - Hard To Cover - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting over green interior walls - hard to cover

We have tried several test samples and decided to go a light yellow over a sort of lime green latex paint. We were told by a friend that after two coats of good paint over a light green wall, the green still influenced her new paint color. She recommends a primer.

We are planning on using Ben Moore's Natura, two coats. The painted samples (two coats) seem influenced by the green but that may be because the rest of the room is reflecting. I didn't think primer was needed over painted walls (latex over latex). Has anyone had problems covering green? Would we be wise to use a primer first and then two coats of Natura? It would need to be low or no odor because the paint smell makes me ill.

Hope you can help with advice. Our room is already empty of furniture and ready for paint. Thank you!

Advertisement

marliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

Use a primer and tint it grey and you should be good to go…

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I was hoping to be told the primer wasn't necessary but if it is, that's better than not being happy with my new paint!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey marliz,
If you're going to apply a finish coat of a light yellow, I would use a white primer rather than gray. Yellow is a very difficult color to make cover and the lighter the base coat underneath, the easier it will be for your finish yellow coat to cover.

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

If your green is an intense "Mountain Dew"/lime kinda green, then I'd consider a white primer.

However....if you're doing a light yellow, it's gonna be in a WHITE tint-base. Meaning...this base is very opaque. A little bit of Yellow colorant ISN'T gonna affect the opacity AT ALL.

If you still see green thru 2 coats of a white-base...your yellow is going on WAY TOO THIN.
Simple as that.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

marliz, I would think two coats would cover, but because I can't see it from here I can't be sure....so I'll give you my rule of thumb: When in doubt, even a little bit, prime it!
BM makes a zero voc primer in the Natura line. Since your topcoat is a light yellow, I agree with Steve, use white.

Yep, what Faron said, too!

Last edited by ratherbefishin'; 01-04-2011 at 01:05 AM.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ratherbefishin' For This Useful Post:
chrisn (01-04-2011), Faron79 (01-04-2011), spraygunn (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #7

Thank you for all the suggestions. Would it make a difference to add a tint of light yellow to a white primer?

I'm also wondering about the new Royal paint at Ace hardware. It's closer to where we live (we already made two trips to an Ace that carried Aura and Natura since our local one does not. They say Royal is low odor. I tried a search on the forums without result. Maybe it's too new?

Has anyone had experience with Royal for coverage, odor and washability?

I woke early thinking "paint." It seems like the Natura line tends more to earthy yellows rather the soft "real" yellow, I'm looking for. I started out with too many people giving advice trying to help me match the blah gray carpet. Talk about confusion.

We chose a bathroom tile with some gray and warmer taupes and earthy colors but no yellow so I kept trying to find something I liked that would blend with the carpet and tile. Finally decided that, since yellow is my favorite and cheers me up and I never get tired of it, I'm at the point that i don't care if it matches the carpet.
When we bought this house a couple of months ago I thought gray was a neutral and would be easy to match. Big mistake. And the whole house is gray!

Rant ended. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,070

If you still have unpainted walls then of course the yellow will look green. Yellow can be tough. A primer "may" help but if you need two coats over the primer when all you needed to cover th green was 2 coats, then you are just adding work.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

Matthew, the walls have a limish green latex paint which was put on over the original grey paint that the builder (who lived there two years) used to paint every wall in the house. The carpet is also gray. I can use deep red accents to liven up the living area, but since the people we bought the house from painted the master bedroom this lime green (not my taste at all) I want to have at least one room in light yellow (my favorite color.) Problem seems to be that green tends to affect overlays of yellow paint even with two quality paint layers.

Thanks for responding!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliz View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. Would it make a difference to add a tint of light yellow to a white primer?

I'm also wondering about the new Royal paint at Ace hardware. It's closer to where we live (we already made two trips to an Ace that carried Aura and Natura since our local one does not. They say Royal is low odor. I tried a search on the forums without result. Maybe it's too new?

Has anyone had experience with Royal for coverage, odor and washability?

I woke early thinking "paint." It seems like the Natura line tends more to earthy yellows rather the soft "real" yellow, I'm looking for. I started out with too many people giving advice trying to help me match the blah gray carpet. Talk about confusion.

We chose a bathroom tile with some gray and warmer taupes and earthy colors but no yellow so I kept trying to find something I liked that would blend with the carpet and tile. Finally decided that, since yellow is my favorite and cheers me up and I never get tired of it, I'm at the point that i don't care if it matches the carpet.
When we bought this house a couple of months ago I thought gray was a neutral and would be easy to match. Big mistake. And the whole house is gray!

Rant ended. Thank you.
If your concerns stem from odors and overall VOC, then you should probably stick with Natura. That paint is zero VOC to start, and Benjamin Moore uses a water based colorant system which means no VOC gets added when they tint it. Royal, interestingly enough, I can't easily find their technical data online, but more often than not it will have some VOC in the Paint and the colorant.

As for the color, paint and color are separate decisions. You can get any color in Natura - it will not be "earthy". And that goes for any paint really as well. As long as you have a color chip, most commercial paints will be able to achieve that color.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #11

We ended up playing it safe and used a low VOC primer then two coats of Natura giving us a perfect shade of yellow.

While my daughter was painting my son-in-law was doing some remodeling in our small master bath, tearing out an oversized whirlpool tub that made the room seem all tub, putting in a new ceramic tile floor and cabinets for needed storage where the tub was. They both did an awesome job in just a few days and headed home tonight.

We still need to have a countertop installed over the new cabinets and replace the top over the existing vanity. And I need to decide if I want to be boldlly daring and paint the walls deep blue, adding yellow accents and blue accents in the bedroom to tie it together. Or play it safe and choose a neutral paint that will blend with the yellow bedroom.

I'm not daring by nature but since the room is small and we could repaint if we hated it, I'm really tempted to have fun with "daring!"

Thank you for the advice!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

You shouldn't need a primer if your using a quality paint. I've painted over greens, blues, and reds with light colors, whites, antique white countless times and 2 coats of a quality paint has always covered. If it was reversed where you where painting the green over yellow then you would need a primer as the yellow would actually bleed through the green. Lighter colors are harder to cover with deep base colors. But as far as covering green with yellow you shouldn't need a primer.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

If the yellow you are using is a pastel, then you have to prime over green. In fact, pastel color numbers have an asterisk that states a primer may be required over certain colors. What you need is a high hide primer. I know MAB makes a great primer, Super Bond, it has incredible hide. One coat over bare drywall looks like finish. Tell the paint store you need a high hide primer and have them tint it toward your finish color, three coats and your done.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyBark View Post
Hey I feel you should go in for a environment frien dly colr those like Green, it really adds much glow to your house, else just tryu it out...
Why bump a three month old thread just to suggest a paint color? The OP had already chosen a color....and already finished the project.

Thankfully, this is a thread that the OP had the courtesy to follow up on. Some people will ask for help then never be heard from again, and those "cliffhanger" threads aren't necessarily going to be helpful to those who search the forum.

This thread isn't one of them.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Jay and Tom, I just noticed this thread is a couple of months old. However, it will still have some value. In the future, these threads will be searched by others who will find all posts relative to this topic.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote