Painting Over Existing Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting over existing paint

I'm painting a bedroom for a nursery. The current paint is white semi-gloss/eggshell. It also has kind of a bubble texture and not flat. The paint is still good but the wife just wants a new color.

Should I:
A. Just paint over the existing paint with a paint+primer(Glidden Duo). I've been reading and I know it's not really recommended and Glidden is probably not the best brand, but with a new baby on the way the budget is a little tight.

B. Prime then paint over existing paint.

C. Sand, Prime, and paint? Will the bubble texture effect the sanding? would I need to sand it smooth first before priming and painting?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions. I've never done any painting before and I'm clueless.

Advertisement

cyang023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyang023 View Post
I'm painting a bedroom for a nursery. The current paint is white semi-gloss/eggshell. It also has kind of a bubble texture and not flat. The paint is still good but the wife just wants a new color.

Should I:
A. Just paint over the existing paint with a paint+primer(Glidden Duo). I've been reading and I know it's not really recommended and Glidden is probably not the best brand, but with a new baby on the way the budget is a little tight.

C. Sand, Prime, and paint? Will the bubble texture effect the sanding? would I need to sand it smooth first before priming and painting?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions. I've never done any painting before and I'm clueless.

what is this?

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Maybe what you are talking about is what's called ' orange peel texture. Since you say the existing paint is in good condition, I would assume the 'bubbles are purposeful anyway. And I can see some kinds of orange peel describe as " bubbles"
If so, its no different than painting normal sheet rock. If its semi-gloss now, it wouldn't hurt to lightly sand It to scuff the sheen a little. But don't sand hard enough to knock of the "bubbles, if its really just textured sheet rock.
You will not need a primer unless the existing paint is an oil base, or is contaminated in some way. (Grease, smoke)
Would be a good idea to do a test area to ensure adhesion and coverage. Put some paint on an inconspicuous area, wait a couple days. Check the area for adhesion by scratching it with your fingernail, if you can scratch it off easily you need to prime first.
A color change will probably require two coats. Glidden is perfectly fine for a simple color change. But I would stay away from there cheapest lines( speed wall) as it might be hard for a beginner to get good results with it.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyang023 View Post

Should I:

To sand I would get a 220 grit sanding sponge and use a light touch you do not want to sand the orange peel clear off in spots all you want to do is scratch the surface. You will probably notice the tops of the orange peel will now be flat but that's OK the stipple or texture from your roller will fix that. And your roller cover should be 1/2 or 3/4" and use a quality brush for cutting in, a brush or roller cover is not the place to scrimp or save. And this week and I think next Sherwin Williams is having a 30% off sale and Ben Moore will match that. I think Pro Mar 200 from SW would be a better paint than what you are looking at or BM's comparable I think is Regal select line.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 79

Congrats on the new addition to your family. I am having to do what your doing- changing a bedroom to a nursery. What I did was just rolled paint on top of the textured wall that had been painted years ago. The only places that I sanded and primed were the patches that I had to repair.

I spot primed the patches with Kilz. I then used a brush to do corners and around trim, and then used a coarse nap roller (labeled for use with textured walls) to roll out the paint. Now, I used Behr premium plus, which I might catch flack over, but I works for me (price and performance). I was able to do one coat that covered pretty well, although if I had the time I would have probably done a second coat just to make the color "pop" a little bit more. I do need to touch up a few spots due to my inferior rolling skills. Just make sure you put down a tarp or plastic or you will get paint specks all over your floor. Good luck and congrats.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it is called orange peel texture, sorry I know nothing about painting. I'm going from white to baby blue. I'll check out Sherwin Williams and look at their discounts.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #7

Should I use primer or just sand then paint?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

lightly sand with 180 to 220 , clean the dust off and paint
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 512

pittsburgh paints makes some pretty decent paint for a good price. a gallon of pure performance is only $30 here in canada so if your in the states its probably mid 20s. the glidden ultra is decent paint and its $45 a gallon here. not sure what the duo is going for. also dont cheap out on a brush and roller. buy a nice wooster or purdy 2 1/2" angled sash brush and a mircofiber roller. you can wash the brush and roller and reuse it many times and get probably years off use. cheap out on the tray and roller cage and dont get sucked into buying a cut pail or speciality cutting in tools they are all junk and a waste of money.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
pittsburgh paints makes some pretty decent paint for a good price. a gallon of pure performance is only $30 here in canada so if your in the states its probably mid 20s. the glidden ultra is decent paint and its $45 a gallon here. not sure what the duo is going for. also dont cheap out on a brush and roller. buy a nice wooster or purdy 2 1/2" angled sash brush and a mircofiber roller. you can wash the brush and roller and reuse it many times and get probably years off use. cheap out on the tray and roller cage and dont get sucked into buying a cut pail or speciality cutting in tools they are all junk and a waste of money.

I would not get cheap here either, good ones( after cleaning) will also last years
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

i got 3-4 plastic trays that i've using for years and i just use the liners. i got 5-6 cheap $5 cages that i've had for a few years ago that still work great and i paint a few times a week so a regular home owner can use it for a lifetime.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex2011 View Post
Just make sure you put down a tarp or plastic or you will get paint specks all over your floor.
This is an often neglected benefit of higher quality paints - low spatter means less prep and cleanup. I can't even imagine painting like my father used to - his arms and glasses were completely flecked in white when he was done. But he liked cheap stuff. I can't even imagine painting with a roller now where flecks of paint might get on me or the floor. (Actually I can imagine quite well - I've used BIN. But for regular paint - no :-) )

Last edited by jeffnc; 05-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
dont get sucked into buying a cut pail or speciality cutting in tools they are all junk and a waste of money.
For some reason, it never ceases to amaze me when people make blanket statements like this, based on probably using 1% of the possible products out there.

The HANDy Paint Pail with disposable liners is excellent, for example.
http://www.handypaintpail.com/2.11_hpp-small.html
http://www.handypaintpail.com/2.12_liners.html
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc

This is an often neglected benefit of higher quality paints - low spatter means less prep and cleanup. I can't even imagine painting like my father used to - his arms and glasses were completely flecked in white when he was done. But he liked cheap stuff. I can't even imagine painting with a roller now where flecks of paint might get on me or the floor. (Actually I can imagine quite well - I've used BIN. But for regular paint - no :-) )
I've noticed also that microfiber roller covers will just about not splatter at all with lots of different paints. It's really a dramatic difference from woven naps. Although, lately some of the ones I have washed out 10+ times are starting to splatter a little.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
I've noticed also that microfiber roller covers will just about not splatter at all with lots of different paints.
Haven't used them yet. Should I?

Advertisement