Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #1

Share |

painting over epoxy

I have an epoxy basement floor. It has good adhesion no problems there, however, want to change the color. Its a dark grey and want to go gloss black. I understand that I need to sand it down to rought it up and remove the shine. Its the next step that has me going nuts. Since I want a high gloss, should I use an acrylic porch paint, or can I try a latex paint with a urethane over it? So confused need lots of advice. Thanks

TRACEY C.

tconenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

painting over epoxy

I doubt you will have any luck going over the epoxy with an acrylic, unless the epoxy happens to be water base too. Even then I doubt it would be as simple sand and paint.
Sounds to me like you need some ' on site professional advice. Re coating epoxy products is not a DYI job IMO. Too much potential for disaster.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #3

painting over epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconenna View Post
I have an epoxy basement floor. It has good adhesion no problems there, however, want to change the color. Its a dark grey and want to go gloss black. I understand that I need to sand it down to rought it up and remove the shine. Its the next step that has me going nuts. Since I want a high gloss, should I use an acrylic porch paint, or can I try a latex paint with a urethane over it? So confused need lots of advice. Thanks

TRACEY C.
I'm curious - if you already have epoxy (and I'm assuming a 2-component epoxy), and are willing to do the necessary prep to re-paint...you want a high gloss black (which I don't think you'll find in an acrylic floor paint), and you'd be willing to put a urethane over the acrylic black to achieve the desired gloss, right? Why wouldn't you just stay with epoxy in a gloss black?

Epoxy on a basement floor is actually kind of overkill - but the problem is not all single component, conventional products are necessarily compatible with an epoxy coating. Stay away from alkyd coatings - acrylics have a better chance of a good bond - depending on what type of acrylic you're considering... but, in my opinion, you'd be just as well served going with a water-borne, 2 component epoxy coating (Stay with water-borne, there are several different brands that are available in gloss black). For what you're describing, it'd be less work, would possibly be even less expensive, and have a greater probability of success. Something to consider.

P.S. - And as you're considering this, keep in mind that gloss finishes can produce a slippery surface to walk or play on...
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

painting over epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
I'm curious - if you already have epoxy (and I'm assuming a 2-component epoxy), and are willing to do the necessary prep to re-paint...you want a high gloss black (which I don't think you'll find in an acrylic floor paint), and you'd be willing to put a urethane over the acrylic black to achieve the desired gloss, right? Why wouldn't you just stay with epoxy in a gloss black?

Epoxy on a basement floor is actually kind of overkill - but the problem is not all single component, conventional products are necessarily compatible with an epoxy coating. Stay away from alkyd coatings - acrylics have a better chance of a good bond - depending on what type of acrylic you're considering... but, in my opinion, you'd be just as well served going with a water-borne, 2 component epoxy coating (Stay with water-borne, there are several different brands that are available in gloss black). For what you're describing, it'd be less work, would possibly be even less expensive, and have a greater probability of success. Something to consider.

P.S. - And as you're considering this, keep in mind that gloss finishes can produce a slippery surface to walk or play on...
I am with Rick. I wasn't a fan of water based 2 part epoxy untill recent. We did a Vet wash room with it (SW brand) and after the stuff dried you couldn't get it out of the buckets with a hammer and chizzel. Great stuff. And I think it smelled like laundry detergent.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

painting over epoxy

I side with Ric on using an epoxy too.

If you want to try painting a small section take a look at Ben Moores porch and floor paint. The oil-based product is urethane reinforced and the waterbased product is epoxy reinforced. Whether either will hold up applied over epoxy is the question so you might contact Ben Moore customer support.

Note that the oil-base leaves a fairly high gloss film but the waterbased will be more like a semi-gloss.

Regular paints, even with a clear coat over the top, are not really built for foot traffic.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

painting over epoxy

A test patch for adhesion on the existing epoxy is always a good idea.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #7

painting over epoxy

Thanks for the replies. There seems to be a question as to why not epoxy again? The floor is over 2000 sqft, dont want to go for the money with epoxy again. It may seem like overkill, but the area is actually an inlaw apt. gets alot of foot traffic. Behr makes a black porch paint, that is why I questioned the acrylic. Behr seems to get mixed reviews on this website. Well thanks again I guess Ill start calling reps and making test patches.

Last edited by tconenna; 05-15-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

painting over epoxy

Behr floor paint?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

painting over epoxy

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. There seems to be a question as to why not epoxy again? The floor is over 2000 sqft, dont want to go for the money with epoxy again. It may seem like overkill, but the area is actually an inlaw apt. gets alot of foot traffic. Behr makes a black porch paint, that is why I questioned the acrylic. Behr seems to get mixed reviews on this website. Well thanks again I guess Ill start calling reps and making test patches.

that's just scary
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

painting over epoxy

And also realize that black is a housekeeping nightmare. Really.
Really x2. Believe it.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

painting over epoxy

I believe it and would suggest 4x for high gloss black. Every spec of dust will show and every little smudge of anything.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #12

painting over epoxy

I know you must think" high gloss black" nightmare- but I'm already OCD with cleaning. Sometimes a girl wants what she wants (Im sure u experienced this). Thanks boys for your suggestions.

Tracey
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

painting over epoxy

Quote:
I know you must think" high gloss black" nightmare- but I'm already OCD with cleaning. Sometimes a girl wants what she wants (Im sure u experienced this). Thanks boys for your suggestions.

Tracey

Isn't that the truth

She usually gets it also.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy floor