Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting over composite board

HI, I am new to the forum. Our house is about 5 years old and is made of composite (hardi***) board. They originally only put one coat of paint on and it is very spotty in places. I have hired a guy to pressure paint, paint one coat, caulk and do the trim with SW durablend. My impression was that the durablend was a paint and primer in one, so I am pretty sure one coat will be sufficient. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. Anyone disagree or have a better paint suggestion? He is going to spray and then brush over. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by dreamhome2005; 05-17-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: I'm sorry, I meant SW duration.
dreamhome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhome2005 View Post
HI, I am new to the forum. Our house is about 5 years old and is made of composite (hardi***) board. They originally only put one coat of paint on and it is very spotty in places. I have hired a guy to pressure paint, paint one coat, caulk and do the trim with SW durablend. My impression was that the durablend was a paint and primer in one, so I am pretty sure one coat will be sufficient. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. Anyone disagree or have a better paint suggestion? He is going to spray and then brush over. Thanks for any help!
SW dura-----? is not a one-coat paint. it's a consumer grade, low quality IMO, paint that has stain-blocking qualities similar to Sensations by ACE. in a side by side test, however, Sensations actually had better stainblocking properties (not relevant).

i'm not saying that this SW paint won't do what you need it to do. recoating previously painted boards should not be very difficult. if anything, i'd say you're overpaying for the quality of paint being used.

noboru wataya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

My mistake I meant SW duration. Getting my motor oil and paint mixed up!
dreamhome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhome2005 View Post
My mistake I meant SW duration. Getting my motor oil and paint mixed up!
personally I'd prefer an exterior paint like Ben Moore's Moorglo Soft Gloss for trim and Moorgard Low Lustre for walls/siding. These are lifetime paints (and they mean it). if you are paying for SW DURATIONS, you might as well go the extra $10 or so and get a paint that covers much better and won't fade out.

as you can tell, i am a big opponent of Sherwin William's Durations paint. you might as well buy your paint @ lowes...
Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboru wataya View Post
personally I'd prefer an exterior paint like Ben Moore's Moorglo Soft Gloss for trim and Moorgard Low Lustre for walls/siding. These are lifetime paints (and they mean it). if you are paying for SW DURATIONS, you might as well go the extra $10 or so and get a paint that covers much better and won't fade out.

as you can tell, i am a big opponent of Sherwin William's Durations paint. you might as well buy your paint @ lowes...
Let me guess - you work for Benjamin Moore...
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
Let me guess - you work for Benjamin Moore...
No I don't. But I am a firm believer in good paint and I've found that de durations is not as good as advertised.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

You will be fine with using duration, if your going with the same color that's already on the hardiboard you may be able to use only one coat, any quality latex paint with acrylic binders will coat hardiboard with good results, and because of the acrylic binders the paint will not fade as quickly as a paint with out acrylic binders, the is one of the benefits of acrylic binders

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
composite board, durablend