Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Share |

Painting over bulders grade paint

I'm painting over builders grade paint, and I know it's going to be very "thirsty". I have a lot of light colored paints left over from previous projects that I'm never going to use again in an eggshell sheen (whites and yellows that mix into a light yellow). I was thinking of mixing them all in a 5 gallon bucket and using that as "primer". Do you think I'm asking for trouble? My topcoat is a tan Ben Moore eggshell.

FixerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
ltd

yea you could do it . but imho i would go 2 coats of the ben moore tan you talked about.boxing in the old paint will not hurt, but you run a risk of doing 3 coats ,your boxed coat ,then two tops of tan. any who ,do 2 coats of tan eggshell and be done

Last edited by ltd; 12-27-2012 at 02:50 PM.
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
FixerMom (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

FixerMom, The builder's grade primer on the surface now has already sealed it. Why not just apply two coats of new, quality eggshell over it? When you intermix paints, they should be the same product from the same manufacturer. If you want to use the old paint, is your attic painted?
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
FixerMom (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

I did a brand new/builder's flat townhome a few years back, and I used BM Super Spec Eggshell. I wasn't happy with the final sheen look and color when done. A week later I went back to touch up and bang, the touched up areas sheen and color popped. I called my trusted BM guy and he told me that previously BM had sent a memo to all dealers recommending a full prime/seal over all builder's flat. Mr. Paint, it's not the drywall needing sealing, it's the builder's flat. Apparently, it wasn't until the third coat, the touch up, that the surface was fully sealed, the builder's flat was so dry and abosrbent. And it was pretty drastic.

Depending upon how much area you have you may want to do some sample areas to determine if a base coat will increase the appearance.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
FixerMom (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Just a hint- Gardz is great at sealing up builders flat to go to a med sheen paint.
For those who wanna know...
Fast- and , well, fast.
chrisn (12-28-2012), FixerMom (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I won't be doing any harm, except maybe more work, and I just don't want to waste my expensive topcoat on the thirsty builder paint.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

I know that everyone has their own prefs, but I really prefer sticking with flat paint. Although it is less durable, it is SO much easier to touch up. I always have issues when touching up paint with a sheen. Just my 2 cents.
justinramani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #8

The way light hits a wall or ceiling makes all the difference in being able to touch up any paint.I have touched up flat that showed terribly because of the light.I always say....whatever paint brand you use,always buy top quality paint.Cheap paint will work you to death trying to get a good finish.And Fixermom you are right, it won't hurt anything as long as it is rolled on smooth and you wait for the proper recoat time. Why not buy Gardz, put on a coat then top it with two coats of your finish paint and you will have a really nice finish with flat,satin or eggshell.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #9

I've never used gardz. I'll look into it before my next project.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Its only gonna save you what a PVA primer would cost you. Pva's aren't too expensive and that all you need. then two coat your top coat. Or use the mixture as the first topcoat after getting some colorant from your supplier to bring it closer to your color.

Last edited by beenthere; 02-10-2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Removed links to his site in post body
Grants Painting is offline   Reply With Quote