Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #1

Share |

Painting over Behr kitchen cabinet paint

My husband and I want to paint our cabinets again. The first time we use Behr Kitchen premier plus paint. (I think that is what it is called). Bad experience. Anyway, we want to use the Benjamin Moore Kitchen and bath. My question is what type of prep work do I need to do? Do I go as far as stripping the Behr from the cabinets before primering with Benjamin Moore? Thanks for anyones response.

heimster14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #2

If it's not peeling or chipping, no need to remove it. Prep involves sanding the surface, washing it down with Trisodium Phosphate and water, then apply your Ben Moore. As long as the current finish is bonded to the surface, no removal or priming is necessary.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

I'm no pro, but I think most kitchen finishes are somewhat glossy and therefore in order to paint over them, a sanding is required for better grab.

You don't say what the problem was with the Behr, if it was the paint job, or the paint - but it might have been due to poor preparation. After all, prep is 80% of most paint jobs - particularly tough ones like this.

So, depending on what problem you had originallly, our response to how to fix it might differ. For example, if you didn't remove the greasy film on them before painting, no paint job would work - regardless of who's paint you used. But if you did remove the grease and sanded it, but don't like the colour, the prep would just involve IMO a good cleaning and sand paper.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-06-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: had to edit, too much good info to share
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimster14 View Post
My husband and I want to paint our cabinets again. The first time we use Behr Kitchen premier plus paint. (I think that is what it is called). Bad experience. Anyway, we want to use the Benjamin Moore Kitchen and bath. My question is what type of prep work do I need to do? Do I go as far as stripping the Behr from the cabinets before primering with Benjamin Moore? Thanks for anyones response.
hi heimster

dont use Benjamin Moores Advance

stick to an oil eggshell for best results (assuming that you dont want to use lacquer) benjamin moore touts their new Advance (a hybrid latex/oil) paint as the best thing since sliced bread. We tried it on one cabinet job recenty and got our butts kicked. it never really cures and chips off quite easily. I just called a customer two days ago to ask about how the Advance job was holding up. He is a very polite and soft spoken customer but he was very quick to say "my cabinets are sh --t" The Advance performed so poorly than I got all my money back from Bejamin Moore for the cost of the product for that paticular job (about $260.00) We do a ton of cabinetry work and will never use this paint again. Ive also spoken to the Benjamin Moore reps in my area and they all are saying that a ton a lot of complaints are coming in about this product. Just a friendly heads up.

regards
ra
www.vancouversbestpainters.com
www.vancouverindustrialpainting.com

Last edited by 604-PAINTER; 03-05-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling
604-PAINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #6

These cabinets already have latex on them. Oil is out, except for oil primer.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Coatings Nerd

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-06-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: not sharing
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Coatings Nerd

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-06-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Coatings Nerd

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-06-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
You called your customer 2 days ago? Yet you've already received a refund on the product? That's pretty fast. Did your Rep visit the job to ensure it was applied correctly? All of that being completed in 2 days...on a Weekend mind you, is pretty quick. I call BS
Like you said. First a rep. Would look at the job to make sure the application was correct and then if they determined there product was bad it will still take more than 2 days to get a refund. If the paint failed with in two days I would say its due to application error. I've never used the advance, but have used SW Pro Classic enamel, which also comes in a water clean up formula and I'm sure its similar to advance. Never had a problem with the Pro Classic. I would recommend an enamel also.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
You called your customer 2 days ago? Yet you've already received a refund on the product? That's pretty fast. Did your Rep visit the job to ensure it was applied correctly? All of that being completed in 2 days...on a Weekend mind you, is pretty quick. I call BS
we started the cabinet job 2 months ago and one day into i quickly realized that the product we were using, Advance, was garbage. i called the owner of the store and asked for a full refund, which he gave immediately. (he owns 5-7 stores) We contemplated changing products but decided to complete the job with Advance. 4 days ago i called the customer to see how it was holding up as I was interested in using this person as a reference. the customer told me his cabinets get discoloured when washed and chip easily. then he said that his cabinets are "sh--t"

Our application was perfect.

No bs here painter, just the facts.

Something is bound to go wrong when you start formulating incongruous wonky things like a latex/oil hybrid.

www.604painter.com

Last edited by 604-PAINTER; 03-06-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Like you said. First a rep. Would look at the job to make sure the application was correct and then if they determined there product was bad it will still take more than 2 days to get a refund. If the paint failed with in two days I would say its due to application error. I've never used the advance, but have used SW Pro Classic enamel, which also comes in a water clean up formula and I'm sure its similar to advance. Never had a problem with the Pro Classic. I would recommend an enamel also.
No applicator error here hpny. No rep showed up as i dealt with the owner of the store. it didnt take more than 2 days to get a refund, it took 15 minutes. Tons of complaints coming in about this product. it also doesnt tint up well either.

ra
www.604painter.com
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
These cabinets already have latex on them. Oil is out, except for oil primer.
hi mathew

not always right but never in doubt eh. i like your confidence but you have it reversed. oil over latex, cool, latex over oil, not cool... cheers

ra
www.604painter.com
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Coatings Nerd

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-06-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:

The technology of mixing oil/water isn't new. In fact Moorgard/glo/life as been a hybrid product for over 15 years.

Embrace the new technology, with VOC laws becoming stricter, its only a matter of time before oil products as we know them will be obsolete.
Have any of you guys used Moorglo Semi-gloss lately?
It seems the stuff does not like to level itself.

StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote