Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Order of Operations - Spraying

I'm trying to get a grasp on the best way to spray/paint my entire home. Home is currently empty, and the floors are being refinished afterwards so I'm not too worried about the occasional spill, etc. Ceilings, plaster walls, trim/crown all need to be done. 70 year old home and lots of misc stains on baseboards that need Binn.

I'd like to spray white primer on the whole house. Does it make sense to spray semigloss on trim/baseboards/crown before walls or will that pose a problem with any overspray on to walls/ceiling that would then be painted matte? If one coat of primer is sufficient for the ceiling I'd probably leave as is.

I guess I'm curious if it faster to spray trim and roll walls or spray walls and hand paint trim? Obviously the amount of paint colors affects that but in general what do people prefer?

Thanks
Kevin

kjmass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

Whether to spray walls or trim (or both) is largely a matter of preference as its commonly done both ways.

I generally prefer to spray/backroll walls and roll/brush trim. But, I might not necessarily do that in every situation.

As far as overspray from the trim being on the walls, this is not usually a problem if you sand the over sprayed areas well and use a quality wall paint.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Thanks I agree it is probably a matter of preference. I think we'll probably just spray primer as a first coat and then do a test area of trim and see how it works out. It's daunting how much taping will need to be done!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Painting Contractor

Not sure what your purpose is for priming (adhesion, surface imperfections, etc) but I usually find that priming by hand application will provide a better surface than spraying and adhere better to the existing surface. The spray will photograph the existing surface and imperfections.
Since the house is empty, and the trim is the most time consuming part of the work, I would spray doors and casings and baseboards with your enamel, and ceilings and closet interiors with flat or what ever sheen you are using. The sprayed trim will give a more glass like appearance. It is also easier to cut in around casing on the flat wall than it is to brush the little side edges of trim, so I tend to paint the trim first in cases like yours. Then I would roll the walls of the main rooms to give them the best appearance.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #5

I guess we just figured a primer coat would help given that some of the walls had wallpaper removed, some walls have a glossy finish that we will want a flat finish. The original paint on the walls is green so we thought it would help with coverage.

Maybe it's unnecessary but essentially we wanted to get the house all white to start fresh as the paint is decades old.

What about the ceiling? I imagine it is faster to spray all the ceilings, no?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Good thing you mentioned the current conditions. For the areas that had wallpaper removed you need to use a primer called Guardz, to lock in any wallpaper glue residue. Otherwise the old glue could cause the paint to peel off those areas in about 6 months. The glossy areas can use a bonding primer to stick to those surfaces and create a new surface to paint on. If your existing glossy areas are oil based paints, be sure to get a bonding primer designed for sticking to that, and lightly etch the surfaces also.
Yes I would spray the ceilings and closet interior to save time.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

Thank you for those tips!

We have some new construction areas in the kithen, bath, and a bedroom...do I need to prime new drywall or just finish coat?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

You need to prime any new wall or trim. That seals the surface and allows the paint to sit on top without soaking in and dulling the finish. Some paints are designed to be a primer for themselves on bare surfaces, but the best results would come from an appropriate primer for the type of material. Most of the best paints need a proper primer.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #9

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

I had to patch a bunch of holes in the plaster walls from the electrician. Is it ok to apply the Gardz oil based primer on the spackling in addition to the wallpaper removed walls? I thought I read somewhere that that wasn't ideal.

With regards to the bonding primer over the semigloss painting surfaces..will any brand do or is it something more along the lines of Killz?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #11

Gardz is not oil based. Guardz is a good primer not just for wallpaper. My feeling on Kilz is the original was a very good primer, The new ones not so much. But to be honest I haven't used it for quite a log time, so it could have changed. Zinzzer 123 is my go to primer simply because I have been happy with the results and it is a bonding primer.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Gardz is not oil based. Guardz is a good primer not just for wallpaper. My feeling on Kilz is the original was a very good primer, The new ones not so much. But to be honest I haven't used it for quite a log time, so it could have changed. Zinzzer 123 is my go to primer simply because I have been happy with the results and it is a bonding primer.
Where there be any problems using Zinzzer 123 everywhere- over the previously wallpapered plaster, as well as the semigloss paint?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #13

Probably not but Gardz is great for problem drywall and after wallpaper removal that area is considered a problem area. The paper on the drywall tears or comes off in places, residue for the wallpaper adhesive, these are just a couple reasons. Gardz is a product that seals these problem areas. But it is also a good primer you could use it to prime everything.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote