Painting Old Weathered Porch Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Painting old weathered porch deck

I have scraped, sanded, and power washed my front porch deck which is old and weathered but in good shape as far as no rot or it has been cut out.
I have porch enamel. I had read somewhere that I can thin it with paint thinner to use as a penetrating primer. Is that true and if so how thin should I get the first coat?
I will be adding grit to the final coat because it is very slick with water or snow.

Advertisement

KeithMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Good luck with that idea. Your going to be back sanding and scraping again real soon.
Paint just does not hold up on a deck. Stain works far better.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Good luck with that idea. Your going to be back sanding and scraping again real soon.
Paint just does not hold up on a deck. Stain works far better.

I might not have been clear. It is a regular porch floor which is covered and has always been painted. The last coat was on about 10-12 years but in one weathered area that was due for paint earlier I want to be sure I penetrate very good into that weathered wood.
The only moisture is what blows in and it drains ok.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 678

Sorry I'm thinking a pressure treated deck.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sorry I'm thinking a pressure treated deck.
No problem, I should have said floor. I just did stain my back deck last fall after about 10 years of neglect. When you said stain I thought that would be good too except I am not up to removing that much paint.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Apply porch and floor paint according to directions and usually without thinning. Most suggest not using a primer. Oil products usually contain a urethane reinforcement and latex products have an epoxy. You do not want to mess around with thinning them, or certainly no more than suggested on the label (if it is allowed).

And use paint store paint. The box store stuff is just not going to hold up on a horizontal surface you walk on.

Last edited by user1007; 04-24-2012 at 07:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMo View Post
I have scraped, sanded, and power washed my front porch deck which is old and weathered but in good shape as far as no rot or it has been cut out.
I have porch enamel. I had read somewhere that I can thin it with paint thinner to use as a penetrating primer. Is that true and if so how thin should I get the first coat?
I will be adding grit to the final coat because it is very slick with water or snow.
Hiya Keith,

I'm gonna assume the porch enamel is an oil/alkyd? If so, almost all paint manufacturers used to recommend thinning the product 10-15% with Mineral Spirits (clean paint thinner) for use on bare wood floors. In most cases, they can no longer tell you that...not that it isn't still the best recommendation, it's because thinning will knock the alkyd product out of VOC compliancy...(sigh)... So, my advice is to thin - you'll do no harm to the floor enamel, and you'll get better penetration (creating a better foundation for subsequent applications). You may not realize any advantage, or benefit, from applying thinned product over existing paint though. Always apply 1 - 2 coats of the product, un-thinned, to finish.

Also, just as an FYI, adding an aggregate for slip/skid resistance will diminish the lifespan of the coating. One alternative is to use non-skid, adhesive strips on steps and main traffic areas (you can find 'em in some paint stores, hardwares or marine supply stores). Good luck.

Advertisement

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote