Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting Old Interior Trim

I bought a house built in 1920 and am repainting the interior. I would like to do all the trim and molding in a basic semi-gloss white, to highlight the colors I'm putting on the walls. The problem is that there's old paint, cracked in some places, and I don't know what will cover and adhere. I'm fine with scraping any loose stuff off and roughing up the surface if needed, but I don't want to go down to the bare wood.

It appears that the top coat is latex, or at least that's what I think the previous owner slapped on. Not sure what's underneath, and it's a given that there's lead in the earlier layers. What's there seems to have adhered fairly well; though there's cracking in some spots it looks old. No paint is coming off in sheets, it's only peeling where there is a lot of sun exposure/weathering/movement (e.g., window frames).

Another consideration is that over time I will be getting replacement windows (one room done per year, maybe), and I don't know if the existing trim will remain or if it will be removed/replaced. I don't want to do extensive work around the windows if the trim's going to be torn out anyway.

Attached are some photos.

Please be specific in any recommendations; I'm a newbie when it comes to painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Old Interior Trim-trim-002.jpg   Painting Old Interior Trim-trim-006.jpg   Painting Old Interior Trim-trim-010.jpg  

Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
NAV

you have many layers of paint on that trim. If you might be replacing the trim anyway all you have to do is:

Scrape - Sand - spot prime and paint

I would use a satin sheen to hide the imperfections in the wood. if you want to go with a higher sheen then you will have to sand a lot more to make it look good.

if it was painted in 1920 then there is lead based paint in there so dont eat the paint chips and wash your hands after you sand. a dust mask couldnt hurt either.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
if it was painted in 1920 then there is lead based paint in there so dont eat the paint chips
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

[
Originally Posted by NAV
if it was painted in 1920 then there is lead based paint in there so dont eat the paint chips
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Coatings Nerd

Yeah, pretty much what they said. Sanding is the easiest, I would invest in a good Palm Sander. They come in handy and are relatively cheap as far as tools go. Also get a good respirator. You dont need a self contained breathing unit or anything, just a good fitting around the mouth and nose, with dust filters, and charcoal chemical filters ( $50 ish for a decent one ) Another good thing to have, that comes in handy.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

I would pick up a lead stick at your local paint or hardware store. Better safe than sorry. Not only for health reasons but for legal reasons as well. It could be cheaper in the run by replacing trim one room at a time. Good Luck
waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynech View Post
I would pick up a lead stick at your local paint or hardware store. Better safe than sorry. Not only for health reasons but for legal reasons as well. It could be cheaper in the run by replacing trim one room at a time. Good Luck
I don't believe there would be any legal issues in your own home
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #8

I live in Mass. and any lead removal has to follow strict guidelines even on your own property. You can remove some lead yourself after an inspection if its deemed low risk. But you must complete a class. If its determined to be high risk, then only a licensed lead removal company can do the job.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
I live in Mass. and any lead removal has to follow strict guidelines even on your own property. You can remove some lead yourself after an inspection if its deemed low risk. But you must complete a class. If its determined to be high risk, then only a licensed lead removal company can do the job.

Who deems it necessary to get an inspection?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm not doing "lead removal" -- I'm painting over existing paint. Besides, I don't live in MA.
Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amycat View Post
I'm not doing "lead removal" -- I'm painting over existing paint. Besides, I don't live in MA.
Exactly. Just wear a dust mask when doing any chipping/scraping or especially when sanding. A coat of primer and a coat of paint is sufficent for encapsulating it.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

[quote=Matthewt1970;318483]Exactly. Just wear a dust mask when doing any chipping/scraping or especially when sanding. A coat of primer and a coat of paint is sufficent for encapsulating it.[/quote]

True here in MD also
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #13

We are not allowed to scrape, that is considered removing. However, I do agree that each state has different requirements. I only mention any of this because I found out first hand. The hard way. Good Luck
Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
We are not allowed to scrape, that is considered removing. However, I do agree that each state has different requirements. I only mention any of this because I found out first hand. The hard way. Good Luck

I, for one would love to hear more about this.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Haste Makes Waste

This seems rather interesting. Would someone actually go to your house and inspect the paint chips you are scraping??? And how would they know to even go check to see if someone might happen to be scraping to paint???

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote