Painting In Old House - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Painting in old house

My hubby and I just bought a house that has always had oil heat. I want to repaint everything (as it is decorated circa 1970's) but have heard that oil heat leaves a residue on everything. Is there a certian way I should prep the walls to ensure the oil does not seep through? Would Kilz be enough?

Advertisement

dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Painting in old house

Oil heat shouldn't leave a residue on anything if your oil furnace or boiler has the exhaust properly ducted to the outside.

In any case, your biggest worry is lead paint. If any of your paint will have to be scraped or sanded or is chipping or peeling in any way, have the paint tested. If positive, consult your local health department for what your options are in your jurisdiction.

If the lead test comes back negative, I would wash the surfaces down with a TSP solution, rinse, and then scuff-sand everything and wipe the dust off. For such an old coating, a good bonding primer such as PrepRite ProBlock Latex from Sherwin would be useful to make sure the topcoat performs properly.

SirWired

Advertisement

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

Painting in old house

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Oil heat shouldn't leave a residue on anything if your oil furnace or boiler has the exhaust properly ducted to the outside.

In any case, your biggest worry is lead paint. If any of your paint will have to be scraped or sanded or is chipping or peeling in any way, have the paint tested. If positive, consult your local health department for what your options are in your jurisdiction.

If the lead test comes back negative, I would wash the surfaces down with a TSP solution, rinse, and then scuff-sand everything and wipe the dust off. For such an old coating, a good bonding primer such as PrepRite ProBlock Latex from Sherwin would be useful to make sure the topcoat performs properly.

SirWired
Thanks! Lucky for me I work in the OSHA field so lead paint testing is no problem with me!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #4

Painting in old house

BTW, I think the "residue" you are talking about is what might happen when folks use those stand-alone kerosene space heaters. A central system with an exhaust duct should be fine.

SirWired
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Painting in old house

Agree on importance of lead paint testing -- we had extensive tests and lead cleaning -- but realize that if you are not sanding and scraping, it's ok to just cover over it. Obviously need more care if young kids are in the house. Good luck!
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Residential Painter

Painting in old house

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawna View Post
My hubby and I just bought a house that has always had oil heat. I want to repaint everything (as it is decorated circa 1970's) but have heard that oil heat leaves a residue on everything. Is there a certian way I should prep the walls to ensure the oil does not seep through? Would Kilz be enough?

Yes, after many years of running oil heating, there will appear to be a residue on EVERYTHING!

I just repainted a home that had oil heating and most of the walls were dark and ceilings were dingy dark gray.... So, yes you have a residue from this oil heating.

What I used was an oil primer (Preprite SF-1 from Sherwin Williams)that would seal the residue into the wall then 2 coats of paint. Same with the trim and ceilings. Otherwise, you will get bleed through if you use a latex primer. Kilz might work, I personally have never used it in bulk, I have only used the aerosol cans.

No cleaning or scraping necessary unless you can see obvious dirt.

If the home was build after 1978 then you don't have a lead issue.
Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #7

Painting in old house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@API View Post
Yes, after many years of running oil heating, there will appear to be a residue on EVERYTHING!

I just repainted a home that had oil heating and most of the walls were dark and ceilings were dingy dark gray.... So, yes you have a residue from this oil heating.

What I used was an oil primer (Preprite SF-1 from Sherwin Williams)that would seal the residue into the wall then 2 coats of paint. Same with the trim and ceilings. Otherwise, you will get bleed through if you use a latex primer. Kilz might work, I personally have never used it in bulk, I have only used the aerosol cans.

No cleaning or scraping necessary unless you can see obvious dirt.

If the home was build after 1978 then you don't have a lead issue.
Thanks. I knew I wasn't imagining this residue. From what I understand it all depends on what oil they used in the furnace, and back in the day they didn't care if it was used car oil. LOL
Lead is an issue, but not a huge one as there is not flaking paint anywhere. I don't have to worry about the kids chewing on the wondowsill and eating paint chips. LOL (Did you know kids would eat the paint chips because they taste sweet? I had an old man who had admitted eating them as a child tell me that!) Anyhow, I am sure the paint has been covered long ago. The house has been pretty well cared for. But as they still had not changed out the heating system any residue was an issue. Hopefully we will be able to change the system out soon!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #8

Painting in old house

I'm curious, where does this residue come from? Is the exhaust from the boiler not sent through a chimney to the outside? Or are the heat exchangers in these things not maintained?

SirWired
Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #9

Painting in old house

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
I'm curious, where does this residue come from? Is the exhaust from the boiler not sent through a chimney to the outside? Or are the heat exchangers in these things not maintained?

SirWired
I am not sure. If only the proper oil is used I guess there is no residue, it is only an issue when other more crude oils are used. Like car oil. I would have thought that it was exhausted out as well. But after I thought about it I realized it has been in every older house that I have ever been in that had oil heat. Perhaps is was poor engineering in the old furnaces?

Advertisement