Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Old House

I want some suggestions on priming vs paints that say priming and paint all in one.
My house is about 90 years old. I'm scraping with carbide blades. I'd say 20% to 30 % of the wood is bare after scraping. Lap siding is cedar.
Should I prime the bare wood or use a paint that includes priming. (Do the paints claiming priming and paint all in one, work?) What brand of priming paint to use.
I'm also setting nails on siding where needed and using window glazing for filler(Since I'm doing it myself, I can wait a week or more for it to dry. I already had a can of glazing. Feathering the uneven areas of existing paint by sanding with an orbitor sander.
Also-
I want to do this project right and spend around 35 to 38 dollars a gallon.
What is a good paint to use?
I've read some threads here (including the one one on Behr paint),I know alot of you giving advice are professional painters.
Sounds like the high end paint from the box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot are not as good as buying paint from paint store like Sherwin Williams, BM.....etc.
I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Side note- I had a local painter recommend a solid stain as he uses Pratt & Lambert stains alot.
I read up on this and have decided paint is my only option as paint lasts longer and it has a thicker mil than solid stain. It will cover any flaws better.
Stains seem to be for bare wood only or previously stained wood, NOT previously painted siding.

Last edited by Smokin Gun; 06-27-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: errors
Smokin Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Painting Old House

No paint, no matter what they say, should be applied under your conditions without a primer. It will: look better and last longer.

Last edited by Leah Frances; 06-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Old House

I never did all that much exterior work on oldies but goodies but the last one I restored had gorgeous old cypress and cedar siding I took down to the wood.

I primed it with Benjamin Moore Alkyd Fresh Start primer tinted 40-50 percent of the final paint formula. Alkyd primers are solvent based products so you have to clean up with mineral spirits. People sometimes refer to it as an oil-based primer. It is not. It is alkyd. I think alkyd is the great equalizer because it will cover near anything nicely prepped and you can paint over it with either oil or waterbased products.

I then called for two coats of waterbased, 100 percent acrylic house paint with as much UV protection in it as possible, in whatever sheen wanted, to go over the alkyd primer. The high end Benjamin Moore products were of course great choices. Nice brushes and other tools of course.

Owner of the house fell on hard times and sold it to some Ukrainian slum lord apartment conversion company. They ripped the primed siding off and put up crappy vinyl so it never got finish coated but I would have used two coats of nice 100 percent acrylic, water based house paint.

A lot of people in the preservation group I was part of swore by MAB solid color acrylic stain for use on their wood sided antique projects and it looked nice---not the same as a painted finish though. I personally would not use it over previously painted surfaces unless I was sure I had stripped all the old paint off.

And do stay away from the box stores for the paint. I just saw a banner flash across the bottom of the screen here a day or so suggesting Sherwin Williams was soon offering 30 percent off everything for a week or something. Ben Moore will have similar deals all season and the store owner/manager has such deals at his/her disposal. You may have to ask for the discounts though.

There is no such thing as primer and paint in one. The chemistries and even basic purposes are different just to start.

If you are not sure your color choices try the virtual painting programs availed free by SW, Ben Moore and others. They will simulate what your house will look like painted. Take the codes to the store and have a quart mixed if you still want to paint out a little bit before committing to gallons and gallons.

Last edited by user1007; 06-27-2011 at 12:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Smokin Gun (06-29-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Painting Old House

What SDS said
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Painting Old House

Rimer and paint can't be in the same container, as they each serve there own purpose. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the prep. I would also wash the house after prep, before primining and then caulk where trim meets siding as needed with a quality acrylic-silicone paintable caulk. I would prime with Sherwin Williams A100 oil primer and paint with SherwiN Williams Superpaint satin sheen.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Smokin Gun (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Environmental Health

Painting Old House

Smokin Gun,

Hate to turn you into a human experiment, but just wondering ...

Any headaches, cold or flu like symptoms, irritability, constipation, weakness, fatigue or other non-typical symptoms while you were scraping or sanding? Did you wear a mask? Any small children in the home?

Was your home built in the early 1920s?

I specialize in lead based paint and it would help a lot to know. You can answer via private message, if you want.
Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Painting Old House

Sherwin williams Duration is "self priming" and I have seen it last a while if the surface is prepped right...but BM fresh start is an awesome primer.. if you want a worry free method hit the spots with the fresh start and top coat with 2 coats latex...i recommend duration..
jarheadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Painting Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadoo7 View Post
Sherwin williams Duration is "self priming" and I have seen it last a while if the surface is prepped right...but BM fresh start is an awesome primer.. if you want a worry free method hit the spots with the fresh start and top coat with 2 coats latex...i recommend duration..
Sherwin Williams Duration is a great paint, but you really still should still prime any bare wood and on an older substrate an oil primer would be best. Sherwin Williams Superpaint is cheaper than Duration and last just as long.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Old House

I wish we could stop using "oil" and "alkyd" primer references interchangeably. They are different and I while I suspect people mean alkyd when suggesting an oil based primer for home interiors, I am not certain.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #10

Painting Old House

Exterior house painting is not a place where you'll want to be "saving $5 a gallon by shopping at the big box stores" because when their cheap-but-expensive paint fails on you in <2 years, you'll wish you'd saved up a bit more - and used a real paint.

Shoot, for $38 I can get you Behr - or Benjamin Moore. With the Behr you get an $8/gallon paint, and 300% markup to keep the store open; With BM you get three times the quality paint plus a 50% markup to keep the best paints coming.

Succcumb to the paint+primer all-in-one hype in your guest bedroom, where all it costs you is your time to learn the hard way what we just told you. With one you'll redo it in 2 years, with the other, in 10 years. Your choice.

Watch; the Quack from Omaha is going to disagree...LOL
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Painting Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I wish we could stop using "oil" and "alkyd" primer references interchangeably. They are different and I while I suspect people mean alkyd when suggesting an oil based primer for home interiors, I am not certain.
Just to technical for most, hell, even I interchange them.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
NACE Coating Inspector

Painting Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Exterior house painting is not a place where you'll want to be "saving $5 a gallon by shopping at the big box stores" because when their cheap-but-expensive paint fails on you in <2 years, you'll wish you'd saved up a bit more - and used a real paint.

Shoot, for $38 I can get you Behr - or Benjamin Moore. With the Behr you get an $8/gallon paint, and 300% markup to keep the store open; With BM you get three times the quality paint plus a 50% markup to keep the best paints coming.

Succcumb to the paint+primer all-in-one hype in your guest bedroom, where all it costs you is your time to learn the hard way what we just told you. With one you'll redo it in 2 years, with the other, in 10 years. Your choice.

Watch; the Quack from Omaha is going to disagree...LOL
yep, you may have to bring that horse back out again
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Learning by Doing

Painting Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn

Oil is an extinct species around here. And my big box store doesn't even sell alkyd.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
jschaben

Painting Old House

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I, for one, probably use the terms interchangably because I have no clue what the difference is. The OP says he is filling nail sets with window glazing. The window glazing I use, DAP 33, specifically recommends "oil based primer" within 7-14 days after application. Now, I've been using Zinsser Seal Coat, which I have come to believe is an Alkyd but actually have no idea whether it is or not... or, whether it satisfies the window glazing requirement. .. more info please

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
registered

Painting Old House

I personally like oil based exterior paints. Nothing looks better then oil based if done correctly. Anyway its outside so you don't have to worry about the smell just takes a little longer to dry.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote