Painting Old Furniture And Covering Dark Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting old furniture and covering dark paint

Hi I have an old (not really old like around 10 years)dresser that i'd like to paint. I can't tell if the wood has been stained or not, it looks natural not shiney or anything. What type of paint is best for something like this? Also I would like to paint over dark blue walls with a very light lavender color, will the paint with the primer in it cover this dark color or should I use a seperate primer first?

Advertisement

ginagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Painting old furniture and covering dark paint

I do painted finishes alot on furniture. The process that works best for me is to give the piece a good sanding, clean off the dust very well and apply an oil based primer. The main reason I like the oil primers is that if the piece is previously stained the stain will not bleed through that type of primer. I have had prior finishes bleed through the latex primers, so I opt to be safe rather than sorry. Once primed you are good to go with most any type of finish you want be it oil or latex based. Most oil primers will accept a latex final coat. Just for fun I am attaching a before and after of one piece I did not long ago.

The second part of your question. If your existing dark paint is in good shape and you are not needing any wall repairs (the repairs would need priming) all you need to do is a light sanding of the walls, clean the dust and paint with a GOOD quality paint. A paint from Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore is your BEST bet. Stores that carry ONLY paint will have a much better product for you to use rather than a store that says it can do everything. Anytime you change colors you should plan on two good coats. Two coats of a quality paint should give you the results you are looking for. Primers and finish paints are two totally different things!!!! There is no such animal as a primer and paint in one, no matter how many advertising dollars are put into making you believe that. The chemical differences between a primer and a paint are very different.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting old furniture and covering dark paint-000_0180_edited.jpg   Painting old furniture and covering dark paint-000_0184.jpg  

Advertisement

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (08-25-2011)