Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting OBS Garage??

I recently framed out a 30 by 40 pole shed and I then put up OSB sheeting. I would like to paint this and I am wondering what the best method is? Would this need to have a coat of primer on it? What is the best paint for this type of accplication? Brands you would suggest? Interior / Exterior? Water or Oil based? Roller / Sprayer application? Any information would be helpful and appreciated. I am sure you pay for what you get but I was wondering if any one ever used a Wal-mart brand paint? Thanks for your help.

two shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting OBS Garage??

Quote:
Originally Posted by two shot View Post
I recently framed out a 30 by 40 pole shed and I then put up OSB sheeting. I would like to paint this and I am wondering what the best method is? Would this need to have a coat of primer on it? What is the best paint for this type of accplication? Brands you would suggest? Interior / Exterior? Water or Oil based? Roller / Sprayer application? Any information would be helpful and appreciated. I am sure you pay for what you get but I was wondering if any one ever used a Wal-mart brand paint? Thanks for your help.
Nothing is good for this application. OSB not rated for direct contact with weather. You should put up a house wrap or tar paper, then install siding, then paint. There are some pretty inexpensive siding products out there that you could consider.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Painting OBS Garage??

I am sorry I should have said this is for the inside. I have tin on the outside.
two shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,058

Painting OBS Garage??

To get the best results, any bare wood should be primed with a good oil based primer, OSB included. Odds are your shed will not be climate controlled so I would use and exterior paint. A semi-gloss will give you more durability.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting OBS Garage??

Quote:
Originally Posted by two shot View Post
I am sorry I should have said this is for the inside. I have tin on the outside.
Spend the $ on a quality primer and paint. Zinsser has several good primers. Sherwin makes great paints, but you won't like the prices if your thinking about Wmart paints. Walmart paints are hard to work with and don't cover well in many cases.
If you don't want to re-paint in a year or two, I would suggest you spend a few extra dollars on some good primer and paint. The quality matters. Some of the true value paints have produced excellent results for me. I used one of there poly paints for my work bench and it is really tough.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote