Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Oak Staircase

I have an oak staircase which I would like to paint. The newel post, handrail, spindles, treads and the side supports are all oak. I know it is going to be difficult to hide the grain and I am not sure where to start. Sanding? Kilz? oil/ latex? Suggestions are needed. Thanks

tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting Oak Staircase

Why would you want to paint an oak staircase? I spend a good portion of my time figuring out how to get paint off of them.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Painting Oak Staircase

You should start by sanding the surface to rough up the poly coat that is on them which enables the primer to bond better. Start with one spindle and I am sure you will realize what a pain this process will be for you and you may change your mind!

A good primer and paint can then be applied.

The pros on here can point to a good paint but I would be willing to bet that an oil base will be needed at least on the treads due to the wear and tear that will be done.

You definitely have a big task ahead of you....good luck.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
the Musigician

Painting Oak Staircase

Hi and welcome to the forum!
this is one option....http://www.briwaxmidwest.com/briwaxm...duct_Code=2602
another method i had success with was simply using drywall mud, sanding it smooth as glass and then doing primer/paint.
smooth as silk with S&W semigloss. (it was a stairway handrail) it could have been made of steel as smooth as it looked.

DM
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,034

Painting Oak Staircase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Why would you want to paint an oak staircase? I spend a good portion of my time figuring out how to get paint off of them.
I am with you. In 50 years that oak will still look good where as a painted surface in a high traffic area will need to be re-painted constantly to keep it looking good. Get some other opinions if you wish.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
the Musigician

Painting Oak Staircase

i agree as well, (you know me, i love my natural wood) but the one i did was for the wife.... she wanted it white...... and no grain showing.... and it was used..... and had been outside..... and had water-staining on it....
if it were just me, i'd have gotten a new solid wood one. or made my own, but at that time, i didn't have a shop or any tools to speak of.
factory finishes are usually better than most home owners can apply.

DM
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Oak Staircase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
I am with you. In 50 years that oak will still look good where as a painted surface in a high traffic area will need to be re-painted constantly to keep it looking good. Get some other opinions if you wish.
Unless termites have eaten it or it is totally falling apart? Or as mentioned, it is something you found laying outside for a long, long time? The tree that gave its life was probably at least 100 years old to start with! Don't paint it! It's nice hardwood a lot of people would love to have. Restore it. Or call an architectural restoration place and team like we have here to come claim it, give you a tax credit for the donation, and then give you recommendations and a deep discount for replacing it in the color of your choice with the "modern" look you have in mind.

I still cannot happen to comprehend of why you are thinking of doing this to an oak staircase situation? Can you post some pictures?

Last edited by user1007; 11-30-2009 at 03:23 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote