Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Painting numerous rooms...which paint?

Hey all new to the board here. Last year I re-did my Kitchen and Dining Room with BM Regal with no complaints what so ever. I did a bathroom and office in the house here with Behr Eggshell, again no problems. However this time around I am doing a big paint job that includes living room, family room, master bedroom and a stairway. Now I'd use BM for the main areas if I can afford all that, each room will need at least 2 gallons of paint. I'm thinking of using Valspar Signature Eggshell this time around. How is Valspar in general and is there a huge difference in the Signature v. their Ultra Premium line? I've read to stay away from Behr. I haven't been to SW yet but I've heard Duration is pretty good, anyone know their price point for that? Thanks.

-Brett

ndtechie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
She'sapainter

Most paints I find in HD, OSCH, Low's I PERSONALLY stay away from as a professional Painter to me it's like going to the grocery store to buy a good paint brush,

"However these are do it your self stores, for the do it your home owner"

If you can't afford a professional Painter then get a premium paint from a reputable paint store and tell them you want the best.

ICI, SW, FB, DE...Are pretty good KM doesn't strain there paint and they tend to have more bad batches then the other dealers

Last edited by tverhoef; 02-26-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: info
tverhoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Penniless Parent/HO

nd, I finished up my hallway/foyer with valspar up last weekend and the paint was fine, but I'm not real picky. I want the place to look good for selling in case my job gets outsourced and this gets it done. Hth, Mike
mikebal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #4

I am going to be painting my hallway and living room. I have seen on Sell This House, that there is a type of paint that hides imperfections in the wall. Anyone know about this and if it works?
jannie1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Jack of Some Trades

there are numerous texured paints that work great to hide imperfections. Remember popcorn ceilings. it's kind of like this, only not as dramatic. some just has a small amount of sand, that helps fill in divits in the wall and make them less noticable
Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #6

To answer, there is no difference between the signature and ultra premium lines. Just the colors that you can get in each are different.

But if you want my personal advice, I would say, go to your BM store and ask them if you commit to buying the whole job there if they will give you the contractor price. You'll probably be a little higher than going to Lowes, but it will be well worth it to ask.

I've done it several times, and I've never had a small town retailer say no.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #7

I painted our master bedroom and bath in Valspar a few months ago. Like most folks say it is very viscous but it still went on fine for us. We just put 10 gallons of SW in the basement and I'll admit the Super paint does go on easier, but I wasn't impressed with the coverage. Was it worth the extra money?, dunno. I got a 20% off coupon online so that helped some. Lots of people seem to like Benjamin Moore, but our local distributor won't budge from retail and I'm not paying $45/gal

kcdave is offline   Reply With Quote