DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Painting Newly Textured Ceiling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/painting-newly-textured-ceiling-64662/)

pgarcia 02-16-2010 10:07 PM

Painting Newly Textured Ceiling
 
Hello All,

I recently purchased my first home, and I could use a little advice on one of my first projects, so after a little searching online I found my way here.

I recently scrapped the popcorn ceiling off in one of my bathrooms, which was messy but relatively painless, and with a little help have since re-sprayed the ceilings with new orange-peel texture. I know I now need to prime and paint, but I had a few questions before I get started.

First of all, sanding/cleaning?? Do I need to do any sanding on the newly applied texutre at all? I'm assuming I need to clean the ceiling somehow before priming, any suggestions on how to do so, should I just take a damp towel and wipe it down to ensure all the drywall dust is gone?

Secondly, I was looking for some recommendations on what primer/paint combination is best. I researched a bit online and read that Zinsser 1.2.3. Primer is a good choice, as well as Zinsser Perma White mold/mildew resistant paint. Both are available at my local bigbox store, but the paint is only available in satin & semi-gloss finishes. I read online that flat paint is generally recommended for bathroom ceilings, is this true? The walls are currently painted with an eggshell enamel latex paint, if I do opt for the satin perma white, would it look bad with eggshell walls?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice you can provide!

Snav 02-16-2010 10:12 PM

Clean it as you would any other new paint project - tack cloth (they're cheap)
Since you've removed the previous layer of paint/texture I doubt you have actual dirt and grease to deal with.

Per the color - I really don't think it would be obvious if you use a different colored ceiling paint. Though I would suggest to do the ceiling in the same color as the walls - with the trim being different - but that's a personal color-preference type deal.

user1007 02-16-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgarcia (Post 401310)
since re-sprayed the ceilings with new orange-peel texture. I know I now need to prime and paint, but I had a few questions before I get started.

Just so you know? If you didn't prime first before applying the new texture? You just created the same nightmare you thought you got rid of.

voiles 02-16-2010 11:52 PM

Use a sponge with as little water as possible wipe it down. Be very gentle if you get it to wet or wipe it to hard you will ruin the texture. Prime with a stain blocking primer. Top coat with paint designed for bathrooms it will have a mildicide in it that is very important to use in bathrooms to prevent mold.

pgarcia 02-17-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 401360)
Just so you know? If you didn't prime first before applying the new texture? You just created the same nightmare you thought you got rid of.

How so? I loathe popcorn ceilings which are gone now, the new texture looks great, so I don't think I'll ever have to do this again.

Thanks for the tips on the tack cloth (which I had never even heard of) and the sponge.

Will I need to do any sanding beforehand?

chrisn 02-17-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgarcia (Post 401369)
How so? I loathe popcorn ceilings which are gone now, the new texture looks great, so I don't think I'll ever have to do this again.

Thanks for the tips on the tack cloth (which I had never even heard of) and the sponge.

Will I need to do any sanding beforehand?


What he was saying was that you should have primed after removing the pop corn and applying the texture. Since you apparently did not then your new texture job might may not adhere properly..
The 2 Zinsser products will be fine, one should never have flat in a bath or kitchen.

pgarcia 02-17-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 401394)
What he was saying was that you should have primed after removing the pop corn and applying the texture. Since you apparently did not then your new texture job might may not adhere properly..
The 2 Zinsser products will be fine, one should never have flat in a bath or kitchen.

Awww, damn I didn't even think about that. So, I may still have problems even after priming and painting over the newly applied texture? What's the worst case scenario, it's starts to flake off, even under the two layers of prime and paint? Is there anything I can do at this point, short of re-doing the whole thing?

chrisn 02-17-2010 05:13 PM

Worst case, the whole thing falls down:eek:


If nothing has happened yet , you may have lucked out..You said you have primed and painted, what did you use?

pgarcia 02-17-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 401709)
Worst case, the whole thing falls down:eek:


If nothing has happened yet , you may have lucked out..You said you have primed and painted, what did you use?

No, I have yet to prime & paint over the texture, most likely this weekend using the Zinsser stuff. I was just asking whether I would have problems after priming & painting, since I didn't primer prior to applying the texture.

Again, any need to sand the texture at all prior to priming it?

noahweb 02-17-2010 08:04 PM

You can dab the ceiling with a damp sponge if you are wanting to clean it slightly (but this is usually done after you sand the drywall, before you spray the texture)......

Flat ceiling paint is better at hiding drywall imperfections than a eggshell is.

The lighter the color the better as well (at hiding imperfections)

chrisn 02-18-2010 04:05 AM

No reason at all to sand, you will know soon enough after you prime and paint if you have a problem. If it stays up, no problem, if it falls down , big problem:yes:

pgarcia 02-20-2010 07:41 PM

Hey all,

I just finished priming with Zinsser 123, and everything is looking great. I'm getting ready to paint with Zinsser Perma White, but my question is, will I need to apply more than one coat?

The directions on the can call for a two-coat sealing system with no priming required, but if I did prime, is one coat enough? Since it is in a bathroom, I want to make sure to do the job right, but I also don't want to border on overkill.

Thanks guys!

chrisn 02-21-2010 04:07 AM

2 finish coats


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved