Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Share |

Painting new plasterer

Not sure if this should go int he drywall or paint section so I'll post it in both.

Doing a remodel, gut whole nine yards. Plasterers just left. I used to paint back in the day. Mostly New construction.

The painter always primed all the new plaster before putting the top coat on. The ceilings however he just sprayed with ceiling paint. I know the walls without a doubt should/must be primed, but what about ceilings?

In the jobs we did the ceiling were always textured, and in my case they are smooth.

i know it won't hurt to primer them but what is the consensus?

Whats a good new plasterer primer...

One or two coats of primer?

bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

Painting new plasterer

1 coat of Pratt and Lambert High Hold out primer and two coats of paint would be my suggestion. Primer will insure that the paint sticks properly as well it will reduce seams from telegraphing through. The main reason to prime is to give the substrate an even playing field so that the final finish absorbs at an even rate giving you an even finish. If you remember from your painting days, they likely primed before they sprayed the texture... in that case you could go with a flat ceiling paint, that is very common in new construction. In your case I would definitely prime 1st.

Hope this helps!

www.PearlPainters.com
Pearl Painters Portland Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
Not sure if this should go int he drywall or paint section so I'll post it in both.

Doing a remodel, gut whole nine yards. Plasterers just left. I used to paint back in the day. Mostly New construction.

The painter always primed all the new plaster before putting the top coat on. The ceilings however he just sprayed with ceiling paint. I know the walls without a doubt should/must be primed, but what about ceilings?

In the jobs we did the ceiling were always textured, and in my case they are smooth.

i know it won't hurt to primer them but what is the consensus?

Whats a good new plasterer primer...

One or two coats of primer?

Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Painting new plasterer

See if they left a bag of the plaster mix behind. Plaster with high levels of lime really need oil based primer. If iy doesn't have a high level of lime then you can prime it with latex.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #4

Painting new plasterer

No bags... Whats a good cure time before painting? 3 days ok or should I wait longer.

Pearl painters thanks for the tips/advice too
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote