Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Share |

Painting New Bare Kitchen Cabinets / Doors

Location: South Louisiana - Extremely high humidity and heat.

We are having new kitchen cabinets made by a local cabinet maker (already in production.) The cabinet itself will be full plywood. He previously had a painter for his cabinets but that person moved recently.

The door side rails and stiles will be made of poplar or maple.
The door panel will be a raised MDF center.
The cabinet door style pretty much like the attached photo.

My wife is looking in the color range of a solid color grayish taupe for them.

The cabinet maker says he now has a painter, but he will only use latex products. The cabinet maker has his own building the painter can use to paint them.

I really wanted him to use BM Advance paint on them. But BM Advance has to be applied under fairly stringent guidelines which our weather down here just can't accommodate very well. Dry time in between coats etc.

I am under the impression latex just will not hold up like an oil based or a hybrid (BM Advance) will on kitchen cabinets.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great. The new painter has access to multiple types of sprayers (HVLP, AAA, etc.)

Should I try to find someone which will apply the oil based or has latex advanced to the point it will hold up just as well as oil based?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

TheSnedman
Attached Images

TheSnedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #2

The easy option is to select a waterborne (I like the term waterborne more than water-based since water is just a carrier for the polymer particles, not a solvent) finish that has the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (KCMA) certification. An example would be Sherwin-Williams Kem Aqua Plus (in their commercial line). If you're willing to go with a product that meets KCMA requirements, but hasn't gone through the approval process, you could go with General Finishes Pigmented Poly. Both spray well through an HVLP system.

The differences between your various finish options is summarized well by the
Architectural Woodwork Institute’s Standard Finishing Systems. The ones listed above are "Acrylic Cross Linking, Water-Based".

In the manufacturers' engineering side of the world, latex is just the term for the polymer particles that coalesce together when the water evaporates off.

Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

Trekker,

Thank you for the links. KCMA I am not concerned with.

I am solely interested in the durability of latex (hybrid or not) vs oil based at the present time in history, not what it used to be.

Snedman
Old 07-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Find a local auto body shop that will paint them for you.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

To answer the question, no, latex will not be as durable as Advance and ,or an oil. If you cannot use the Advance, I would go with BM Satin Impervo water borne
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

"Latex" versus "oil" versus "hybrid" is really a house painter or consumer discussion at this point in time. If you can have your cabinets sprayed, then you have much better options than things designed for brushing like BM Advance, BW Satin Impervo, or SW ProClassic. The discussion participants in Internet DIY forums are normally DIYers without access to spray equipment or a commercial distributor.

With spray equipment and shooting commercial products, you can easily get 3 finish coats on in a day. The finish will be smoother because it's sprayed, it'll have less dust particles because it dries faster, and it'll be more durable.

In addition to the waterborne cross-linked acrylics (99 on the AWI opaque scale) like I mentioned earlier, when spraying you have access to other commercial products like:
If you don't have access to a commercial Sherwin-Williams dealer, you can try for a ML Campbell distributor. In the commercial lines, "Pigmented Topcoat" is basically what you think is paint on a piece from a commercial cabinet shop. Pigmented topcoat can be tinted to whatever color you desire, using whatever fan deck you prefer (e.g., Benjamin Moore colors).
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I think I will seek out a local body shop.

TheSnedman
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

TheSnedman, there are some that will also paint appliances such as fridges & ovens. Also check local Millwork shops. There may be one in your area that has a Infrared oven for baking the paint on, for a better finish.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #9

We have a ton of mill works here. One of the business complex alone here has at least 18 cabinet makers in it.

I never thought about checking with one to see if any of them had an infrared oven. I was under the impression from many boards I read the setup for a smaller millwork to have something like those was quite expensive. If you are referring to something which can harden like a catalyzed finish.

Your comment actually jogged my memory. My bosses husband has a cousin which refinishes vintage stoves for a living. He apparently goes all over the country buying, refinishing and selling them. He may know someone also which could be of assistance.

I will touch base with a few tomorrow. Excellent suggestions.

TheSnedman