Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Share |

Painting my new apartment - primer or not?

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions. I just recently bought a new apartment and plan to paint it this weekend. The building has been around for a long time and the previous owners painted in colours that I'm not particularly keen on. One room is cream, one a sort of burnt orange colour and the other is blood red.

I'm planning on painting the cream one light blue, the orange one light green and the red one a slightly darker blue than the first one.

First question - how can I tell if the current paint is water based or oil based? Also, how can I tell if it's plaster or drywall?

Second question - I went to Home Depot last night and they said I should get the paint and the primer mixed in because it's cheaper. Is that a good idea? I'm a little concerned that the red colour will need covering with primer first.

My main issue is that I'm moving my furniture in next week, so I kind of need to get this all done this weekend. I have a bit of help so there will be three of us working on it, so I think it should be quite doable.

Last question - if I should get primer, is there any particular sort of primer that would be ideal?

Thanks

Ty_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Ty,
There is no immediate test to determine if the existing coating is oil or water-based. You didn't indicate if the walls are flat or glossy. Let us know. Glat oils were around 30 years ago, but have been phased out by better-performing acrylice.

As for priming the red color, I recommend Zinssed Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 Acrylic Primer. It is a fast-dry, high-adhesion primer with a sufficient pigment load to cover the red.

If your walls are glossy, wash and rinse them well and do a light scuff-sanding and damp wiping before you start.

Unless this is going to be your primary residence, why not paint everything "Landlord White?" Keep the leftover paint in storage and use it on the next unit.

Th phrase, "Paint and Primer in One," is a misleading marketing phrase to describe a self-priming paint on some surfaces. There are situations thay call for a specific primer. May I suggest you're shopping in the wrong store?

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Hi Mr Paint - I think the current walls are fairly flat. Especially the cream and the orange one. The red one is I think a little shinier, but I'm far from an expert on these matters. The previous owners lived there for somewhere around 5-7 years, so I'm guessing that's how long the paint has been there. It looks in decent condition - it's not peeling or anything like that.

This is going to be my primary residence, so I want to have a little more character than just white.

You certainly can suggest I'm shopping in the wrong store and you're probably right, but I am significantly limited by location and how long it's going to take to get the paint. I have to paint this weekend and I'm going to have to pick it up on Saturday morning (they open at 7). I'm not aware of anywhere else around that will work. I will however have a dig around and see what I can find. Hello google maps.

Is this the primer you're talking about: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=217 ?

Last edited by Ty_Webb; 05-31-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

Yes, that is the primer. You can pull a data sheet off the web and read more about it. It sounds like the previous tenent used an acrylic eggshell enamel. If so, this primer will work well over it. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

Thanks! One last question - for the other two rooms that look pretty flat, should I use primer in there or just use a topcoat (or would one of those "self-priming paints" do the trick)?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

Your wall paint should be able to cover the walls without a primer. Just be sure they're clean.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

Awesome - thanks for your help!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Ty,
There is no immediate test to determine if the existing coating is oil or water-based. You didn't indicate if the walls are flat or glossy. Let us know. Glat oils were around 30 years ago, but have been phased out by better-performing acrylice.

As for priming the red color, I recommend Zinssed Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 Acrylic Primer. It is a fast-dry, high-adhesion primer with a sufficient pigment load to cover the red.

If your walls are glossy, wash and rinse them well and do a light scuff-sanding and damp wiping before you start.

Unless this is going to be your primary residence, why not paint everything "Landlord White?" Keep the leftover paint in storage and use it on the next unit.

Th phrase, "Paint and Primer in One," is a misleading marketing phrase to describe a self-priming paint on some surfaces. There are situations thay call for a specific primer. May I suggest you're shopping in the wrong store?

Get a can of Goof Off and put some on a rag,, rub the wall, if it comes off it is latex, if not it is oil. Immediate answer
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Plan on two coats of finish everywhere.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Get a can of Goof Off and put some on a rag,, rub the wall, if it comes off it is latex, if not it is oil. Immediate answer
This. Having some Goof Off on hand is always a good thing.