Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting My House

I would like to paint my mobile home in chocolate brown, and cream. What would be a good color for the window frames, shutters, trim, and doors? I'm thinking burgandy. But do you think it is to much for all?

Thanks, and glad to be on board.

Susie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Paint/Faux Artisan

Rewards Points: 75

Painting My House

When you say dark chocolate/cream are you painting the body color these and then the trim in burgundy?

If the whole house is going to be chocolate, I'd recommend trim in cream color and shutters in Dark Green or burgundy. Unless you have a house where you can paint the windows in 2 colors, That dark of trim on an already dark home may not be the best...

Just a suggestion...

Bay Area Painting Contractor

Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #3

Painting My House

Let me rephrase. I want to paint the trailer itself in Choc brown and cream. The top half in brown the bottom in the cream. The top half comes out a little from the trailer. Kind of like a chairrail effect. So I want the two colors. Now I want to know if I paint the shutters, doors, window frames and trim in burgandy would it be too much or too loud? Maybe all the trim in cream. I don't know.

You're the expert help me decide.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Paint/Faux Artisan

Painting My House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Q View Post
Let me rephrase. I want to paint the trailer itself in Choc brown and cream. The top half in brown the bottom in the cream. The top half comes out a little from the trailer. Kind of like a chairrail effect. So I want the two colors. Now I want to know if I paint the shutters, doors, window frames and trim in burgandy would it be too much or too loud? Maybe all the trim in cream. I don't know.

You're the expert help me decide.

Thanks!
That's what I figured you wanted to do- chocolate/cream combo will be fine, although usually the darker color is on the bottom to give a "foundation" so to speak. If you paint as you want, I would definitely use the cream on all the trim around windows/doors to bring the color up from the bottom onto the rest of home.

The burgundy I would only use as an accent like on shutters or the front door- I wouldn't use it on the trim with such a dark color already.

That's what has worked for me in the past...It still is ultimately your choice.

Good Luck!
Bob
Bay Area Painting Comapny
Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #5

Painting My House

Very helpful Bob thanks. Will do just my shutters and doors in the burgandy then. Boy do we have a project ahead of us. Now I have few more questions. Will try not to bend your ear too much. What do you think about painting my carport drive way in tan? Also do I pressure wash and paint, or prime and paint? How many coats do you reccommend? What kind of paint?I know these questions blow you away. But I need answers.Thanks once again.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
Paint/Faux Artisan

Painting My House

Quote:
Very helpful Bob thanks. Will do just my shutters and doors in the burgandy then. Boy do we have a project ahead of us. Now I have few more questions. Will try not to bend your ear too much. What do you think about painting my carport drive way in tan? Also do I pressure wash and paint, or prime and paint? How many coats do you reccommend? What kind of paint?I know these questions blow you away. But I need answers.Thanks once again.
Don't introduce a fourth color- gets too busy. Use your cream color to give continuity.

Definitely pressure wash - rent one for a half day for $40-50 bucks

If existing paint is in good condition, you don't have to prime, unless the siding has a baked enamel, shiny finish. Then you'll have to sand it lightly and use ZInsser 123 primer as a bonding coat...

I have painted for 24+ years - Sherwin Williams is the only paint I would recommend for long time durability outside. Use a satin/low lustre on body, semi-gloss on trim...

Bob
Bay Area Painting Company
Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #7

Painting My House

Sorry your misunderstanding me. I want to paint my driveway tan. Do I have to prime, or just pressure wash?

Not introducing a fourth color on my house.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 502

Painting My House

For finishing your driveway, you will need to go to a real paint store (like Sherwin Williams), buy what they recommend, and perform the prep listed on the can. This may involve pressure-washing, acid-etching, priming, or some combination of the above.

SIrWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
Paint/Faux Artisan

Painting My House

Quote:
Sorry your misunderstanding me. I want to paint my driveway tan. Do I have to prime, or just pressure wash?

Not introducing a fourth color on my house.
Why do you want to paint your driveway? Is it concrete? If it's concrete, I'd look into cement stains - not paint. The problem with paint is it will blister under the heat of your cars tires. I wouldn't recommend it.

There are some great epoxy finishes, but they're made for garages not driveways.

I'd think about that one Suzie Q...
IMO
Bay Area Painting Company
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #10

Painting My House

Not only that but tan will show everything. Oil spots, tire tracks etc.

MailboxLady is offline   Reply With Quote