Painting Mortar Landscape Edgers (pic) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Painting mortar landscape edgers (pic)

Well, I had a ton of extra stucco/mortar from doing a stucco exterior, and decided to make use of the extra through landscape edgers (photos).

Day after pouring I hit them with a 20 grit sanding block to roughen them up a bit and to make the lines more uniform.

I want to paint these with the tan that I'm using for my exterior trim work, but don't know the proper way to prep/prime them.

I have 'lanco liquid bonding agent', regular primers, and 'gripper' primers. I'm not even sure if I need a primer, though my guess is it'll save tons of paint. (oh and I know I shouldn't do it when the sun's on it, so work around the sun )

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting mortar landscape edgers (pic)-edgers-front-bush.jpg   Painting mortar landscape edgers (pic)-edger-meets-column.jpg  

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
The Flying Toolbox

Rewards Points: 25

Any exterior primer you can use on concrete is fine, but I would definitely recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. This is from the can:

"High pH Resistance – Can be applied to high pH surfaces (up
to 12.5) without bubbling, lifting or degrading due to high
alkalinity making it an ideal primer for concrete..."

But as always, a quality job starts with prep...acid prep. Make sure you acid wash your new curbing with Muriatic Acid. It will clean/etch the new surface, and remove any efflorescence.

Advertisement

handypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Easiest would be to stain them after checking the ph.

The machine you guys use to make those is pretty cool. I watched a landscaper do it recently.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by handypilot View Post
Any exterior primer you can use on concrete is fine, but I would definitely recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. This is from the can:

"High pH Resistance Can be applied to high pH surfaces (up
to 12.5) without bubbling, lifting or degrading due to high
alkalinity making it an ideal primer for concrete..."

But as always, a quality job starts with prep...acid prep. Make sure you acid wash your new curbing with Muriatic Acid. It will clean/etch the new surface, and remove any efflorescence.
Etching is for better surface area right? If that's the case, it's all set for that, and I have seen *zero* efflorescence anywhere. I do have a bucket of etcher/phosphoric acid based, but would rather not use it if I don't have to (as the landscape edgers are covered on both sides by landscape beds I'm growing, and freshly sown grass on the otherside). If I don't see efflorescence and I know it's gritty enough to not need etching, can I skip the etching?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewho View Post
Easiest would be to stain them after checking the ph.

The machine you guys use to make those is pretty cool. I watched a landscaper do it recently.
You just made me blush!
mortar poured landscape edgers
I made those myself by hand, I took a thin sheet of aluminum and cut it into spikes, nailed them to boards, and used those as my rough form. I then poured into the form, and used a trowel (custom made by me - I took a 6" edging trowel and made it flat, then bent to my desired shape. After that, a 20grit rubbing block made it uniform and smooth, and I just used a grinder to cut in some control joints).

And about staining, that would be a whole other project. I really want to use the tan exterior paint I've been using for accents, so I want these to look uniform with the accents, so I really want to just prime the edgers and then be able to use my exterior tan accent paint.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

handypilot - given what I told you do you still think I'm going to need to etch? (it's fresh mortar, cured enough that it should be fine, it's been sanded with a 20grit block so it's got enough 'tooth' to grip, and I don't see a hint of efflorescence anywhere on it.)

Advertisement