Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting in mexico

Hi, my friend is fixing up a place for her parents in Mexico. The place had wall paper over what I believe are standard concrete block walls with a thinset mortar skim coat. She took off the wall paper and went to try and find a primer to coat the walls with before painting. They didn't really have any thing and what they did have was so expensive that it is definetely not what is generally used.

So, does anyone know the general painting procedures for the above described walls and what materials are used besides the latex paint she's planning on using?

thanks

willmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

painting in mexico

If she can't find a white primer to apply to that mortar skin coat, can she at least find a flat white latex paint to use AS A primer?

Or are flat white latex paints prohibitively expensive in Mexico too cuz they can be used as primers?

If that skim coat of mortar as rough or very porous, I'd probably opt for a "block filling primer". A block filling primer is intended for application over concrete blocks. It's a very thick bodied primer so that it smooths out the roughness of the concrete block's surface. It would also smooth out the surface of coarse mortar.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-14-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

painting in mexico

Well, in the US, Sherwin Williams has a complete line of masonry coatings that goes by the name "Loxon" for this purpose. A quick Google shows that Sherwin does exist in Mexico... if they have stores in the area you need, you may want to stop by.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote