Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Share |

painting metallic ceiling tiles.

Has anyone attempted to paint white 12" x 12" interlocking ceiling tiles to look like copper or any other metal? I've seen video using a 2 step painting method, base coat in solid, then metallic rolled on top. Cant seem to find the product to use in small amt. have only 35 tiles to paint. I have thought about metallic spray and purchased a couple to try. Any help appreciated.

popojas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Metallics are really tricky- need a very close base coat and I usually think spray is the best way to get an even finish- i use Modern Masters metallics.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Make sure you stir metallics almost between each roller or brush load. And just my opinion I guess but metallic surfaces can shift from decent to foo foo faux faux garrish and tacky looking in hurry. Sometimes less is more.

I have used metallics from both SW and Benjamin Moore and I guess things worked out alright. I bought in quarts since I did not need a lot of it for the last project---two gold arches for altars in facility chapels. Took a couple of coats. I burnished the surface with a soft cloth after letting the paint cure for a month. Client was happy. They did look sharp against the otherwise deep navy blue of the wall.

An art supply store or maybe a hobby store might have metallics in even smaller containers. Krylon and Rustoleum offer metallic copper paint in rattle cans if these tiles are not already affixed to the ceiling.

There are also metallic waxes you can apply for a graduated patina. I have used them on picture frames and things. I guess they would work on ceiling tiles.

Metallic paint is never going to look like metal leafing or plating. Or authentic tin tiles, etc. If you really want metallic and only need 35sf are you sure you don't just want to replace them with real tin, copper or whatever? Most historic patterns have been replicated.

Last edited by user1007; 04-19-2013 at 04:08 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

What kind of tiles are these?
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
What kind of tiles are these?
Good point. If they are plastic you will want to hit them with a plastic primer first. Rustoleum makes a primer that works well and they sell it in rattle cans and liquid form in quarts as I remember. They claim you can put any finish over it. I don't think Krylon Fusion, formulated for plastics, yet has a primer in the line. Fusion only comes in rattle cans.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote