Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting metal siding

We have an eight thousand square foot barn that needs painted. We have cleaned with TSP product to remove the chalking and dirt. It has some light surface rust on the edges of the corrigated steel, my question is, is it best to put a primer on first or is the acrylic paint sufficient? The metal is 25 plus years old but we don't want the rust to get any worse, that is why we are painting now. We are trying to do the best with the least coats. Can we do primer and one coat or is it necessary to primer and two coats of acrylic paint. Can you recommend the best paint and primer for the job, don't want to do this again!

tlbrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,234

Painting metal siding

All your prep is spot on so far. For rusty areas simply "spot" prime those areas with a rusty metal primer. This is an oil based primer that converts the rust into a paintable surface. If you don't prime
those areas the rust will soon break through your new paint film leaving ugly rust streaks.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,104

Painting metal siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbrosch View Post
We have an eight thousand square foot barn that needs painted. We have cleaned with TSP product to remove the chalking and dirt. It has some light surface rust on the edges of the corrigated steel, my question is, is it best to put a primer on first or is the acrylic paint sufficient? The metal is 25 plus years old but we don't want the rust to get any worse, that is why we are painting now. We are trying to do the best with the least coats. Can we do primer and one coat or is it necessary to primer and two coats of acrylic paint. Can you recommend the best paint and primer for the job, don't want to do this again!

This product gets very high marks from a lot of people that have used it, might be a little on the pricey side though.

http://www.calbarinc.com/
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

Rewards Points: 25

Painting metal siding

if the surface is chalky this interferes with adhesion so an adhesion promoting waterbased primer should be used. also use a rust converting primer like gymshu recommended. Then 1 - 2 coats of a high quality DTM waterborne (Direct-to-metal) is recommended over the adhesion promoting primer. You might want to add some Emulsa-Bond to the adhesion promoting primer. This product is a paint conditioner that helps paints and primers stick to chalky surfaces...

good luck...
Cpcphil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cpcphil For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-03-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Painting metal siding

Last year I painted several barns with old red metal siding that was fading bad (red). We pressure washed all the buildings and used a brush also then rinsed. We just used water. Then I went over with an oil based primer then 2 top coats of white paint all from Cloverdale. I just went by what they recomended and had them check with the company to be sure. It covered fine and looks great so we'll see how long it lasts. I used an airless sprayer though and mine metal wasn't rusty yet.
hayman is offline   Reply With Quote