Painting Metal Gutters - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Painting metal gutters

Hello all-
I'm getting ready to paint my house. I would like to do some minor gutter repair at the same time and paint them. I was curious to know if I should remove the entire gutter that runs the length of the house at the roof line or just paint it and not remove it first. I suppose just painting the downspouts would be all that is needed. Should I use a spray paint (brush prime first) or should I use just use brushes to do this?

Thanks!

Advertisement

bigboyjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting metal gutters

Removing the entire gutter and spraying or brushing it will give you the best job, but depending on the condition of the trim, and the quality of job desired, painting them in place is acceptable

Often to properly coat the trim the gutters need to be removed, or at least moved, as they have not been removed to paint underneath during the last few paint jobs (sometimes for decades) and the paint on the trim underneath is in sad shape

If the paint under the trim is in good shape, there's no reason not to paint the gutters in place, really

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Painting metal gutters

okay, cool. This is a repaint of the original paint job done about 8 years ago and the paint on the trim is in excellent condition. I think then by your advice I will simply leave them on. That is what I have been thinking all along, just wanted to double check with another person.
Thx
bigboyjoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
SeamlessGutterDelivery

Rewards Points: 10

Painting metal gutters

Not sure if this is an option, but you may want to look into getting aluminum gutters and downspouts in the color that matches your trim. There are over 25 plus colors available. This would eliminate future painting of your gutters. Painted gutters/downspouts may crack and peal off.
Ryan the Gutter Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Painting metal gutters

Just wanted to add that I removed and painted the gutters on my house with a hammered copper colored rustoleum spray paint I could only find at walmart.

It looks like copper gutters on the house. Neighbors walking by have commented on the expensive gutters We have and how great they look.

I painted them about two years ago and they still look good. I don't have gutters on the whole house so it was a small project.

Wanted to share.
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Painting metal gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwoodworking View Post
Just wanted to add that I removed and painted the gutters on my house with a hammered copper colored rustoleum spray paint I could only find at walmart.

It looks like copper gutters on the house. Neighbors walking by have commented on the expensive gutters We have and how great they look.

I painted them about two years ago and they still look good. I don't have gutters on the whole house so it was a small project.

Wanted to share.

Sounds like a great idea......

Pro Color
Pro Color is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Painting metal gutters

Concur with Procolor-that does sound like a great idea!!!

Advertisement

elscorcho is offline   Reply With Quote