DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting a Metal Door

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Startingover 
#1 ·
I have a metal door painted with Oil Paint. It had a lot of chips in it. I painted over it with Latex first using Easy Liquid Sander Deglosser. THe paint pulled off in sheets. I did another door using acrylic Paint and had the same problem. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????????

Any Help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Liquid de-glossers are notorious for not working. I'm sure it helps, but using a de-glosser alone often isn't enough prep to ensure a good bond over oil like that.

For a better bond, sand them lightly but thoroughly then clean or de gloss.
I have found that most average acrylic paints won't bond really well to smooth metal doors even with prep. I like to use a bonding primer, or a specialty paint like Advance or Breakthrough.

#10 ·
Startingover said:
On sanding:

Sanding previous painted steel door. Should I use a small electric hand sander? What grit paper? Or, is a light once over by hand enough?

The point of sanding in this case is to dull the gloss and etch the surface. You could use a sander, but hand sanding is sufficient.

I would use 150-220 paper. A Scotch brite abrasive pad works too.

#3 · (Edited)
I have heard the problem so many times after using the de-glosser. After a good sanding and wipe down then a good primer you should be good to go. I have used SW ASE (all surface enamel) on ext. doors and really like it. Would like to hear if anyone else has used it. In fact this is what I used on the doors on my house. Or if you sand it down you could use a DTM paint (direct to metal).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.