Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #1

Share |

Painting metal carport roof

I am looking into the possiblity of using a heat reflective paint on a carport roof. I'm using the carport as a run-in shed for my horses, which is why I want to keep it as cool as possible. I'm looking for advise on what would be involved in using this coating on the roof. The coating can be purchased in the form of a powder and mixed into any paint. The roof of the carport comes pre-painted. Would it be an issue to just add another layer of treated paint? Or will I need to use a primer of some sort first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BarnBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

Tough question Barnbrat............although when in doubt, PRIME first. A bonding primer would be my choice and then a topcoat of the heat reflective paint. They have premixed paint like that at most Hardware/Big Box stores. It would save you from mixing it. I've never put the heat reflective paint on a carport although I have done so on many a trailer roof with no problems.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

Barnbrat, gymschu is right. With prepainted metal, when in doubt prime first. You could be dealing with baked finishes, or at least a hard, high performance enamel meant to stand up to constant sun and still maintain. That doesn't sound like the optimal situation to get a bond with subsequent coats. If it's an unseen roof, you might consider silver aluminum roof coat. It has the properties you're looking for, and it just might bond. One coat and done. Monsey makes a good product. Do you have the ability to walk the roof, or is it just corrugated steel on framing?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

What exactly is this heat reflective additive you are talking about? Do you have some info on it? With a factory finish roof in this situation, I'd hit it with a good acrylic DTM primer and topcoat with white elastomeric roof coating to reflect the heat. That's what elastomeric roof coatings are for.
Gymschu (07-23-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll try priming and painting a small peice of the metal first and see if it 'sticks'. I won't be able to walk on the roof. It's just a small carport. Also, here is a link to the website for the heat reflective paint additive. http://www.hytechsales.com/
BarnBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

That site is nothing but hardcore advertising. Buy a can of Richards elastomeric roof coating with ceramic bead and have the a better product for less money.