Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
slt

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Painting mess in my bathroom

About three years ago we decided to paint the master bathroom. I removed all of the wallpaper, patched and sanded the walls and cleaned them. Then with BIN I painted the walls and ceiling, ( I had previously been told to use BIN everywhere in the house especially where I had removed wall paper) I painted the walls with two coast of a good quality latex paint. About three months later the ceiling began to flake right down to the sheetrock and slowly the walls followed, however not quite as bad. The flaking was worse in the areas where the steam from a shower was thickest. I don't know if BIN was the problem, the can did not say anything about using it in rooms where there is moisture. We do have a fan and usually shower with the door ajar. So now, we have scraped and scraped the walls and ceiling. What do you suggest we lay down on the walls first and what to do about the ceiling. It was textured with mud in a brushed tamped pattern. Not all of the texture scraped off. We do not want this mess to happen again. Please someone give me expert advice and directions as to what to do with the ceiling. This house is 10 years old and in northern Ohio. Thank you very much!

slt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

You might want to post this on the painting forum. As far as the ceiling texture, I would scrape/sand then slick finish...

Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Are you sure your fan is working correctly and is the proper size for the bathroom. Certain fans will fill up the blower cage with insulation and dirt causing little or no air movement, just noise.

Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

I am thinking along the same lines as Kevin. It sounds like excess moisture. Besides checking the fan, check and see how it exhausts. Someone may have done a shoddy job with the exhaust. It may be crunched, or an overly long run.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
slt

Unhappy

2 threads on the same issue merged
Thank you
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

What type of BIN, latex base or shellac base? Do you remember how long after removing the wallpaper that you primed? Also how long did you let the primer dry before you painted?
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
slt

I believe it was shellac as the clean up was not with water. I waited a week before painting. I have another spot in my laundryroom where water sometimes splashes up on the wall that is also flaking, this is why I wondered if it was the BIN. Needless to say, it does not matter what caused the problem as long as we get it right this time. My husband has been sanding and scraping the bathroom for 4 days now.

Last edited by slt; 01-01-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,178

Bin is NOT the proper primer here, you need Gardz or an oil based primer, this after fixing the moisture problem and sanding and cleaning.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

you probably did not wash the walls down enough leaving contaminates along with the moisture you get peeling paint.

I am in Lakewood Ohio - I can fix this if you are near Cleveland. Due to the VOC regulations that took affect in January of '09 BIN is the only product available to seal stains and was the correct product to use.

If you are looking to have a professional fix your bathroom send me a pm.
Here is a pic of a job i am currently working on. your bathroom would be a piece of cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting mess in my bathroom-plaster-001.jpg   Painting mess in my bathroom-plaster-004.jpg  
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,178

to seal stains and was the correct product to use.

Bin is not labeled for sealing wall paper paste.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
slt

Thank you all very much. My Hubby pulled out the fan and we see that it is only 50cfm's we calaulate that for the size of our bathroom it should be apporximately double that. Lowe's here we come, for a new fan as I surely don't want this mess again. We didn't have any stains in the bathroom, a friend highly recomended the BIN and I just trusted the experience they had with it. I was just looking for a nice primer, good coverage as we had to do so much patching because the wall paper was almost impossible to remove. It looked like they put it directly on the sheetrock without any prep work so taking it off was ruining the sheetrock taping. Anyway, that is water under the bridge, the next house we buy if it is not built by us, will not be wallpapered in every room, that was murder!
If I understand all of you, this should be our plan of attack, install new fan, clean and patch the walls (many marks left from the scraper) then prime and finally paint.
Question about the ceiling, we are going to try our hand at re-texturing to match the rest of the house (I think it is called "slapbrush" finish), do we primer first before the texture or is it best to just texture the ceiling and leave it alone. I wonder if originally when I applied BIN to the ceiling (there was no paint or primer over the texture finish, just mud) and walls I sealed up the room and that combined with the fan did me in. Would the room have been able to breath better if I had not put BIN over the texture?

Thank you again for all of your help, this is a great place to learn about home inprovements and to get help tackling the unhappy messes!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
slt

Wow, you are working on quite the project. We are pretty avid DIYers, this is just something new and we would like to complete the project the right way. Thank you much
Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
slt

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to what order or specific directions as to how to proceed with the ceiling??? I posed a question in my last post, please help.

Many thanks!
Susan
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by slt View Post
Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to what order or specific directions as to how to proceed with the ceiling??? I posed a question in my last post, please help.

Many thanks!
Susan
Slap brush or crows foot texture is a little tricky. First of all you need a brush like this....

Actually, the single brush is easier to use. The most important issue is to roll an even coat of joint compound over the ceiling. The joint compound needs to be diluted to a thick pancake batter consistency. You roll it on the ceiling both directions to create a uniform coat.

Before you start rolling on the texture, prime the brush. Place the brush on a plastic bag and apply the joint compound to it with a taping knife. let it sit for a bit and slap it on the plastic working the compound into the brush.

After you have rolled the joint compound onto the ceiling both directions, slap the brush against the compound. As the brush releases it creates the crows foot type texture. Rotate the brush to get a random pattern.

Kevin

BTW... wear a hat.

Last edited by Kevin M.; 01-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
slt

Thank you so much Kevin, one more question if you don't mind... do we apply primer to the ceiling before we texture, after or not at all. Originally, there was none on the texture, but I would guess the sheetrock was primered first. Just want to do this very very right.

Many thanks,
Susan