Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting an MDF desktop

I have an existing desk made from Bush Furniture that I purchased some years ago. It has a black speckled finish on the top and black stain on the bottom. It has four detachable tops. I would like to change the color to a "sand" type of color.

I took one sample to a furniture refinisher and he identified the wood as MDF. He said he could paint it with an oil-based enamel, using a chemical solvent on the top surface. However, I am concerned about the wood getting damaged. He also suggested that I could powder coat it and gave me the # of a guy but he said that the piece would get baked and so the wood would most likely burn. His third suggestion is an epoxy paint from Sherwin Williams.

I would like to recoat these desk tops so that they have a sturdy finish and will not flake or scratch. I am attaching a photo I just took of two parts of the desk. Also, I plan to get new "C" legs for it as the existing ones are particle board laminate. I just need the table top resurfaces redone.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this is appreciated.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Painting an MDF desktop-mdfdesktop.jpg  

NightOfDiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Painting an MDF desktop

MDF is basically cardboard. It's wood powder glued together and faced with paper. You can:

a) prime it and paint it with oil paint, or
b) cover it with something else, like plastic laminate or a sheet of thin plywood.

I kind of like option b.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Painting an MDF desktop

Thanks. I think option B would be difficult. The desk top surfaces have some contour that I would like to retain. Option A might be okay. I may try a test run with primer and oil paint.

I am also thinking of using an epoxy paint, such as the following:
http://www.quikretecoatings.com/epoxyMultiSurface.jsp

I used the garage floor version for my garage and it works great! I figure it may work with the wood as well.

I bought another set of it so that I could patch the garage floor if needed:
http://www.quikretecoatings.com/epox...eFloorCoat.jsp

I masked a small area on the back of the desk with a small mix of the stuff to see how it would turn out. I will see tomorrow how it looks and feels. I figure I could get the tan color variety and mix in some tiny specks or something to give it a decent look. One challenge is determining how to etch the desk. It is fairly smooth and so I may need to roughen it with sand paper which means I will have to really go for it. I'll post tomorrow after I check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting an MDF desktop-epoxytestdesk.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting an MDF desktop

I would use an alkyd primer and then you can use either an oil-based or latex based enamel. Let the latex cure for 30 days before setting anything on it. Melamine would be an alternative to Epoxy.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Painting an MDF desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would use an alkyd primer and then you can use either an oil-based or latex based enamel. Let the latex cure for 30 days before setting anything on it. Melamine would be an alternative to Epoxy.
Thanks for the input! I found a link on Melamine and that might be good as well. I would like to horizontal surface to be smooth and both the epoxy and Melamine appear to be self-leveling.

One issue though is that the result of the epoxy and perhaps enamel and Melamine is a shiny surface. I would really like a non-shiny matte finish.

Any recommendations for a matte finish? I will see if any matte finish enamels are available.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #6

Painting an MDF desktop

The epoxy paint worked fairly well. That is, it stuck to the surface well. However, it is still not quite durable enough for a table top. It scratches fairly easily and is too shiny and plain.

I am looking at the following options:
1. Call the factory and ask how they created the original coating. I don't like the black speckled color any more but it is very durable. It would be great if I could somehow get the same type of coating on it but in a "sand" type of color.
2. Use the existing tops as a template and have someone create new tops just like it but made of a lighter wood. I'm thinking a light cherry color would be very cool.
3. Leave it as is.

I plan to take one of the tops to Sherwin-Williams and see what they have to say as well.