Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a Logo / Lettering on unfinished Ash for a stadium seat back

Per the topic title, i have been commissioned by a sports fan to paint a Giants logo / lettering on the back of an unfinished stadium seat - like the kind of 3-part wooden-backed seat you would sit on in a stadium. He purchased the kit from an online source and wants me to paint a design on the back.

My 1st question is: what is the best paint to use on unfinished ash?

Part 2 of my question: Since he will be staining / then finishing the wood, would it be best for me to do lettering / design at the very end? that is, have him finish the wood, apply a final sealant to it, then i paint on top of that sealant for the final touch?

I am typically an acrylic on canvas artist, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

sargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargo View Post
Per the topic title, i have been commissioned by a sports fan to paint a Giants logo / lettering on the back of an unfinished stadium seat - like the kind of 3-part wooden-backed seat you would sit on in a stadium. He purchased the kit from an online source and wants me to paint a design on the back.

My 1st question is: what is the best paint to use on unfinished ash?

Part 2 of my question: Since he will be staining / then finishing the wood, would it be best for me to do lettering / design at the very end? that is, have him finish the wood, apply a final sealant to it, then i paint on top of that sealant for the final touch?

I am typically an acrylic on canvas artist, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sure you want to paint it? Seems to me doing a bang up job and then getting a custom vinyl graphic to apply would make more sense?

If you want to try to letter, pinstripe or paint it? You want to do so under the clear coats. You will have an adhesion problem on top of all else if you seal the surface shut and try to paint over it. And even if you get away with it, your work will peel or otherwise abrade off in short order.

Last edited by user1007; 10-28-2011 at 08:37 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sdsester, thanks for your reply. The client is dead-set on having this Giants lettering/logo on the seats, so i am just looking at the best way of getting them on there. I havent thought about the vinyl graphic idea. I think that could look good on there, once the seat backs are all stained and finished. Then they could be scraped off at some point if he gets tired of them, too.

If i WERE to go the paint route, you are saying that painting first (before anything else is dne to the wood) is the best course of action? Any ideas as to what types of paint / stain / final coat work best together on a wood like ash?

sargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargo View Post
If i WERE to go the paint route, you are saying that painting first (before anything else is dne to the wood) is the best course of action? Any ideas as to what types of paint / stain / final coat work best together on a wood like ash?
You have to seal the wood before thinking of anything else. If it were my nice ash chair? I would seal it with 50 percent processed lindseed oil and 50 percent mineral spirits.

I would top this with a nice paint store alkyd primer/underlay.

Then have it at painting the chair itself and whatever you have in mind with whatever oil based or acrylic paint you want. Clear coat your custom work after you are done.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ash, unfinished