Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Living Room, Never Done it before have a few questions

http://cjweber.com/house/IMG_2844.JPG
http://cjweber.com/house/IMG_2845.JPG

the livingroom is broken into 2 parts, 13x14 and 14x15

I want to paint everything, walls (top and bottom) ceiling and trim.

The trim, the window seals and the lower paneling seen in the picture is real wood. the house was made in 1922. The walls are textured plaster. What would be a good paint. Everything will be white except for the top part of the walls. I have no idea how much paint I'll need either.

1. Ceiling paint?
2. Trim and Paneling Paint?
3. Wall Paint?
4. How much of each?
5. Good cheap paint sprayer?

TheSiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hey Siege, My recommendation for the ceiling, flat paint, refer to this thread best ceiling paint?
My taste for the walls would be flat as well. Textured walls throw a lot light around when done with any kind of sheen, which creates uniformity issues and a distraction, in my opinion.
On the trim, personally, I would use a satin finish. If it's currently oil stay with that. Use whatever base it's currently done in.
I find that softer sheens look more stately and tasteful in older homes.
As to brands, use any mid to upper level product in the usuals, SW, BM, MAB, whatever is local to your area. And please, if you like Behr paint, don't mention it around here.
As to quantity, its difficult to get a good count on texture like that. One gallon on sheetrock should do a 12 x 15 ceiling twice, then add some? for the loss in the texture. Buy what you think will do one coat, that will give you a rough approximation of your second coat requirement.
I think that good cheap sprayer is an oxymoron. Maybe for a fence, but not an interior. For the amount of work you have, a good quality 1/2 to 3/4 inch cover would get you by for ceilings and walls. On the trim you could roll the panels, one at a time, with a mohair or 1/4, 3/16 cover and leave them like that or lay them off with a brush for the older method look. If you have any prep questions, post them.
Have fun.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ok here is a picture of the window trim, baseboard trim, and door trim along with the wood panelboard

http://cjweber.com/house/IMG_2847.JPG

I have no idea what paint was used before.

Should I use the same type for all pieces?

And I didn't see a certain grit for sanding on your painting guide, what should I use?

Thanks
TheSiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hey Siege,
the reason you should determine what finish you have is that there are those who will tell you that you need to prime before switching bases. I don't, rarely ever have. I could be wrong about that but I've never had any problems and have had confirmation on it from people who've been around longer and know more than I. So, take it for what it's worth. If the surface is real aged, an enamel underbody will be beneficial. As long as you properly sand, not talking about a scuff sand, but real sanding, each base will bond to the other. I usually sand a little more aggresively around areas that show signs or real wear, base boards, door frame edges, etc. These are hightlights that show you what takes the most abuse. To determine if the base is latex, take a colored rag and either denatured alcohol or goof off give it a good rub. Latex will come off on the rag. A 100 or 120 grit will be fine coupled with a piece of 80 weight to remove any old sags or drips. Not old hags, sags. I was tempted to do a mother in law joke. As to color, it's customary to do wainscotting in the trim color but I've seen it done where it was treated as a "wall" under chair rail, done in a different color than the top wall, a tri-color scheme, and it looked pretty neat. Sometimes the best results come from playing around and experimenting. I think people are tiring of some old decorating rules and anymore anything goes. Thanks
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Sounds like you want to do a good job. be patient, and take your time.

Go to a reputable paint dealer, they should be able to explain all the products and prices, to fit your needs and budget. Paint is not just paint. Benjamin Moore is a great brand ( I'm biased though ) SW has some good products too, same with PPG/Porter. I'm not a fan of the box stores paints, but try it if you like. Do a side by side comparison of you want, you wont know what you like and don't like until you try it.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiege View Post
http://cjweber.com/house/IMG_2844.JPG
http://cjweber.com/house/IMG_2845.JPG

the livingroom is broken into 2 parts, 13x14 and 14x15

I want to paint everything, walls (top and bottom) ceiling and trim.

The trim, the window seals and the lower paneling seen in the picture is real wood. the house was made in 1922. The walls are textured plaster. What would be a good paint. Everything will be white except for the top part of the walls. I have no idea how much paint I'll need either.

1. Ceiling paint?
2. Trim and Paneling Paint?
3. Wall Paint?
4. How much of each?
5. Good cheap paint sprayer?
Welcome to the world of Doing It Yourself! It's lots of fun and rewarding, even though there's no way to avoid making some mistakes. That's how we all learn!

A rough "rule of thumb" on coverage is about 400 square feet per gallon, but that will vary quite a bit based on the type of paint as well as the surface you're covering. Your textured plaster is pretty pronounced, so it might require "more than average" amount of paint.

Ceilings are usually flat white. You can use either flat white or ceiling paint. I'd suggest painting the ceiling FIRST, because it's a real bugger to cut in if you've already painted the walls.

My personal preference for walls is either "satin" or "eggshell" finish. Neither finish is glossy, but it'll clean up a bit better than flat. Others will have differing opinions about finishes.

My wife & I usually go with semi-gloss for trim, but again, that's a personal preference thing.

As jsheridan has pointed out, some light sanding will help break the gloss on the existing paint (helps adhesion), and clean things up a bit.

Get a couple good brushes, and some decent rollers, and enjoy the ride. Good luck!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote