Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting Linoleum/Formica counter top? Anyone ever do it?

I've never thought of painting an old counter top, but I found a thread online where people were discussing it and did an amazing job!

Curious to know if anyone here has ever done it, and how it held up? I'm going to be replacing my counter tops probably late in the year but I figure I might take a shot at repainting them like people did in this thread if it won't cost me a ton:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html

I realize Home Depot sells the replacements for cheap, but I will be replacing them later in the year and might be doing granite so I was considering a paint job for the time in-between.

I must say I am impressed with the look and people's success. I'm just not sure how they will hold up.

Anyone ever try this?

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #2

I've done it successfully, but it won't last long, so as a temp measure, it is fine.
wash/rinse the top with a solvent, 'lightly' ( just to help the primer bond) sand, use a 'good' primer (zinsser comes to mind) and have fun.
I used melamine paint.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
I've done it successfully, but it won't last long, so as a temp measure, it is fine.
wash/rinse the top with a solvent, 'lightly' ( just to help the primer bond) sand, use a 'good' primer (zinsser comes to mind) and have fun.
I used melamine paint.
Don't prime, and certainly not with Zinnser. Primer is not going to stick to laminate. Scratch the H out of the surface and pray you get a good bond.

Something like melamine paint is your only hope. Expect to pay $50/gallon or more retail for decent stuff.

You really want to be eating the stuff when it chips off into your ham sandwich though?

How about exploring one of the countertop overlay companies if the shape is everyting you want for a few years? They will come out and give you a granite look.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

You have a few options for this project. Midwest Chemicals has products specifically for counter top re finishing. http://www.midwestchemicals.com/index.asp?p=MultiStone2. Some of the products are spray on with an HVLP, some you can brush and roll on and some you apply then use a special heat lamp to instantly cure the surface harder than hard in a couple of minutes, the down fall to the heat lamp method is that the heat lamps about $1,500. Midwest Chemicals would be a good option.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote