Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

Painting linoleum floor?

I have a question about painting a linoleum floor. I've read different web pages saying it can be done. I just have a couple questions about paint. Hopefully someone can help.
All the articles say to use a oil based primer/paint/sealer clear. Well I can find oil based primer such as Kiltz but stores like Home Depot don't sell oil based paint other then in a spray can.
So can I use oil based primer then paint with water based paint and top coat the paint with water based polyurethane?
Or if you have recommendations on what to use that would help.
Thanks

Shadow662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #2

Painting linoleum floor?

Yes, you can paint over Oil Primer with Water based paints. One thing you can't do however, is use Kilz on a floor. To my knowledge (here in Canada anyways) On the label for Kilz it should read specifically not to use it on floors. Now I'm not 100% sure as to the reason but my best guess would be that it doesn't dry hard enough and wont stand up to the abuse of being walked on. You may be able to use something like Zinsser Cover Stain but I would read the label before buying such a product.

idbeolderifiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

Painting linoleum floor?

I am affraid anything you try to use on that floor will not hold up. Rip it up or even lay stick on tile over it.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Painting linoleum floor?

Yes I've considered putting in new flooring however the funds are not there thanks to this great economy so I can't put in anything nice like the wood floor I put in the master bedroom last year.
A couple of the big home improvement stores had laminate wood for .99 a square but are of junk quality and don't want to use them.

We had stick down tile in the bathroom when we bought the house and they came up. Not sure if it was the previous owners fault they came up or just nature of those stick down tiles?

I also considered ceramic that is also on sale for .99 a square but with 2 kids under 5 and threw the dining room is the only way to the kitchen is out of the question.
Shadow662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #5

Painting linoleum floor?

Clean Floor real good. Coat with XIM(sherwin williams). This is a bonding primer. Top coat with All Surface Enamal. Latex is fine.You can use a Water base floor poly on top, 2-3 coats and you should be fine.
DGideon is offline   Reply With Quote