Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting laminate?

Only my 2nd post on the forum so go easy on me please!
I have a small TV stand that I purchased from Best Buy several years ago.
It is pretty solid, seems to be made of solid wood, but laminate covers the whole stand. It has a few small scratches etc. on it but other than that it looks ok, with the exception of the color, which is a dull gray.
My question is, can I paint it? Is it gonna look like crap afterwards? If so, is there a particular type of paint I should use? Or should I attempt to replace the existing laminate with something new and better looking?
Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

melaluca02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

painting laminate?

You should be able to clean, scuff sand, prime (solvent-based primer), and paint
I'd suggest an enamel (waterborne or alkyd "trim" paint) for the paint

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

painting laminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaluca02 View Post
My question is, can I paint it?
prolly

Quote:
Is it gonna look like crap afterwards?
prolly

Quote:
Is there a particular type of paint I should use?
Laminate is made of a pretty hard plastic to stand up well as a shelf or working surface. Go to your local hardware store or home center and look for Norton "3X" Premium aluminum oxide, which is a sandpaper that's 3 times as sharp, 3 times as hard and lasts 3 times as long. Get 220 grit or so. Sand down your laminate to get a dull surface on it, clean up the dust, and apply an INTERIOR ALKYD primer. Then apply any interior alkyd paint tinted to the colour you want over that.

Quote:
Or should I attempt to replace the existing laminate with something new and better looking?
That laminate may be glued to "processed" wood like particle board or MDF, and you might end up pulling chunks of particle board or MDF out when removing the laminate. I'd paint it first, and only opt for relaminating as a last resort. Do you have a router or laminate trimmer? You will need these tools to do a decent job.

If you don't like the paint job, then use a heat gun (or a chemical paint stripper) to remove the paint, and then take a shot at relaminating. I doubt that paint stripper would harm laminate.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

painting laminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay

Laminate is made of a pretty hard plastic
Laminate is also made of wood
Laminate can also be that "wood product" which is basically a picture of wood (paper) glued to fiberboard

I assumed it was wood laminate
Nester assumed plastic

Perhaps we should ask the OP for a clarification
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #5

painting laminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
prolly

prolly

Laminate is made of a pretty hard plastic to stand up well as a shelf or working surface. Go to your local hardware store or home center and look for Norton "3X" Premium aluminum oxide, which is a sandpaper that's 3 times as sharp, 3 times as hard and lasts 3 times as long. Get 220 grit or so. Sand down your laminate to get a dull surface on it, clean up the dust, and apply an INTERIOR ALKYD primer. Then apply any interior alkyd paint tinted to the colour you want over that.
I like this particular advice, I will be attempting this in the near future.

That laminate may be glued to "processed" wood like particle board or MDF, and you might end up pulling chunks of particle board or MDF out when removing the laminate. I'd paint it first, and only opt for relaminating as a last resort. Do you have a router or laminate trimmer? You will need these tools to do a decent job.
I definitely think painting it will be my best bet. I don't have a router or laminate trimmer. Sandin, priming, painting seems to be a much easier route and I'm sure it'll look great when I finish. I will post when done, and include before/after pics.

If you don't like the paint job, then use a heat gun (or a chemical paint stripper) to remove the paint, and then take a shot at relaminating. I doubt that paint stripper would harm laminate.
Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

painting laminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Laminate is also made of wood
Laminate can also be that "wood product" which is basically a picture of wood (paper) glued to fiberboard

I assumed it was wood laminate
Nester assumed plastic

Perhaps we should ask the OP for a clarification
I do believe it is a wood laminate.