Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting the Kitchen Floor ?

I'd like to paint a diamond pattern onto my kitchen floor to give it some pop and provide some accent from the standard finished wood that is in the rest of the house. The kitchen is currently down to bare walls & floor (its a big box) and the floors are due to be sanded in short order by the contractor doing the major work. There is some question on both our parts on how to actually proceed once the floor is sanded down.

My reaction is to stain the entire floor, then mark out the diamonds and paint with a good floor paint, then cover the entire thing with a poly-acrylic to get a good final finish. The contractor thinks it would be better to stain the diamonds rather than paint and stain each one instead of a broad stroke followed by painting.

For the end result I'd like 1/2 the diamonds to be stained wood showing grain & marring the other 1/2 painted (stained?) effectively hiding grain. (Similar to the pictures below)

What is the best way to go about the whole process?
Attached Thumbnails
Painting the Kitchen Floor ?-1694809_paintedfloor_check_xl_rect540.jpg   Painting the Kitchen Floor ?-02_paintedfloors_rect540.jpg  

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote