Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Painting kitchen cabinets

How can I prevent scratches and scrapes to the painted surface of cabinet shelves? The cabinets are old and painting is the best solution. But I am wondering if there is a finishing product that can be put over latex paint to make the surface scratch resistant.

Mary Reich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #2

I've been thinking about the same thing and wonder if using a floor paint might not be the best option.

My home is filled with white built-in bookcases and it doesn't take much for those shelves to start looking bad.

sheshechic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sheshechic For This Useful Post:
Mary Reich (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

It is asking a lot from paint, but THE MOST IMPORTANT part of painting something that is going to get ware and tear , and particularly if it already has varnish or anything glossy on it now, is prep for adhesion and using a GOOD adhesion primer.
Wash ( Krud Kutter/ maybe tsp- be carful TSp will etch most anything) , sand to cut gloss and give primer something to bit into- prime ( zinsser 123 is my prefered primer for this) , then 2 coats of an enamel - not a semi wall paint. The difference is hardness.
SW pro classic waterborne, Ben moore WB impervo or Aura SAtin, even their Advantage- which is a oil modified to be a waterborn. Use good stuff.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Mary Reich (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Use a furniture grade good paint......

and then,

cover them using shelf liners.
CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CruiseDivaNJ For This Useful Post:
Mary Reich (05-17-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDivaNJ View Post
Use a furniture grade good paint......

and then,

cover them using shelf liners.
Hi, CruiseDivaNJ, could you tell what exactly is a furniture grade paint? Is it available in any big box store? Thanks.

I am looking for a white paint/stain to redo my kitchen cabinate. Would you recommend stain or paint?

Right now my cabinate just has a layer of clear polyester on it.
stole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stole View Post
Hi, CruiseDivaNJ, could you tell what exactly is a furniture grade paint? Is it available in any big box store? Thanks.

I am looking for a white paint/stain to redo my kitchen cabinate. Would you recommend stain or paint?

Right now my cabinate just has a layer of clear polyester on it.
I dont know what you mean by polyester..? Thats a type of fabric. If you mean polyurethane, I get it..I dont recall what we used on our cabinets exactly..but you would need to post a pic of your cabinets or explain them better to facilitate offerring the right advice.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDivaNJ View Post
I dont know what you mean by polyester..? Thats a type of fabric. If you mean polyurethane, I get it..I dont recall what we used on our cabinets exactly..but you would need to post a pic of your cabinets or explain them better to facilitate offerring the right advice.

Sorry, I mean polyurethane. These are two pictures.

The cabinets are originally white, I sanded them and put a thin layer of polyurethane. Now I change my mind, and would like to make them white again, by either stain or paint. Which is better? What exactly should I do? Any suggestions? Thanks.

stole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #8

Just my opinion, but - if you plan on replacing sometime in the near future, I would sand them and maybe just paint them with a durable paint - persoanlly i wouldnt go with a lacquer and I wouldnt start mixing products (mainly b/c Im a multiple homeowner, a DIY'er and not a professional) - professionals might suggest something different though. I have also refinished furniture- most recently a cupboard that gets A LOT of use - kids in and out of it looking for food, lol All we used was a high gloss latex paint b/c I needed it to be the same as a railing...I didnt line the shelves either and there are no scratches or wear (but dishes and glasses arent going in and out). Again, I woulduse shelf liners in kitchen cabinets.

Also, I recently noticed a "kit" sold in the big box stores and also advertised on television- I dont know what it is called but it is specific to redoing kitchen cabinets Im dying to look into it but my cabinets are new.....

I dont know if this helped...hope it did, even a little!!
[when we redid cabinets, unfortunately we werent working with wood - they werer, errrr.....something else. We sanded and then painted and voila, they lasted 6-8 yrs...nicely.