Painting Kitchen - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting kitchen

Dears,
Can anyone tell if i can paint my formica kitchen cabinets and will the paint last ?
If not what the cheapest and most efficient way to change my kitchen color ?

Advertisement

shebli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,280

Painting kitchen

Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Not really. Nothing looks cheaper and uglier than painted formica. Yes, I have done it. I have used paint kits to make the formica look like granite. I have painted formica with solid colors. They look ok but have that cheap, apartment-style look to them when painted. You will have to sand a bit, remove dust, prime with a high quality bonding primer, and then topcoat with a color you can live with. I have found that a major problem with painted formica is any kind of standing water tends to eventually cause the paint to pop off. You may get 2 or 3 years out of the paint job if you're lucky. Consider buying a new counter top at a thrift store or in the scratch and dent section of any home improvement store. You'd be surprised at some of the great deals you can find.

Oops, misread the post.......I see that it is cabinets you are talking about. Process is generally the same.......sand, prime, and paint.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 634

Painting kitchen

Far better to save your money and get new and better cabinets.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #4

Red face

Painting kitchen

joecaption, Did you try it and found it a waste of money?

Gymschu, Do you think it will last more if it was on cabinets and about the look I want to paint them Black They'd look nice not cheap ??
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting kitchen

I bet your cabs are not formicia ( the countertop material) but pressboard or MDF with either a very thin real wood veneer or a 'wood grain" plastic covering. Very common in cheaply made apts and mobile homes.
Sure buying new is always better - but i get that not everyone can.
Gyms suggestions are correct. Clean clean clean would be what I would add. A little greese will ruin a paint job.
do a little search here for cabinets and kitchen- you'll find many painting tips
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting kitchen

Melamine paint is designed to go over laminates. It is self-leveling and forms a glossy surface. It is a bit hard to work with and it tends to chip. Get paint store quality material.

You might look into replacing just the drawer fronts and cabinet doors if you like the cabinet structure. You still have to finish the frames somehow though.

Any time you working in a kitchen environment you must be especially diligent about getting everything spotlessly clean and your prep or all your work will be for nothing.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Painting kitchen

Thanks alot all, i have one more Q?
Can i install formica over formica? And how can i remove the formica face?

Advertisement