Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Share |

Painting a JD 318

I acquired a John Deere 318 that is in pretty good condition. I saw a couple of videos on spraying (priming and painting) using paint cans, and wondered what you all thought? I don't really want to strip the entire thing down, but don't want it to look like crap either. Ideas?

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Don't use spray cans, unless you plan to do it right next summer.

If you've got an air compressor, get a lower-priced HVLP spray gun. Do your body work right, clean & prep it, mask it off and prime it. Spray it with a good acrylic enamel with catalyzed hardener, or base-coat/clear-coat system.

Doing the job right is not going to be a lot harder than throwing on spray can paint, and will give you a MUCH better end product.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Don't use spray cans, unless you plan to do it right next summer.

If you've got an air compressor, get a lower-priced HVLP spray gun. Do your body work right, clean & prep it, mask it off and prime it. Spray it with a good acrylic enamel with catalyzed hardener, or base-coat/clear-coat system.

Doing the job right is not going to be a lot harder than throwing on spray can paint, and will give you a MUCH better end product.
Thanks. I have siphon feed gun that I have used to spray paint before, just not for body work. Can I buy the paint that JD sells, specific to their colors? Or, would it be best to get it color matched at another place.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
Thanks. I have siphon feed gun that I have used to spray paint before, just not for body work. Can I buy the paint that JD sells, specific to their colors? Or, would it be best to get it color matched at another place.
I'd price it out both through John Deere, and through an auto parts store that sells paint.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #5

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
I'd price it out both through John Deere, and through an auto parts store that sells paint.

would bondo work for any scratches or cracks? I only have one area on the hood, but if I'm painting I want to do it right.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
would bondo work for any scratches or cracks? I only have one area on the hood, but if I'm painting I want to do it right.
It should, assuming the problem area is not too big or deep. Bondo is a little bit like drywall mud, in that you don't want to use too much.

If it's a bigger problem, I'd get a fiberglass repair kit, then Bondo to finish the last little bit.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

Painting a JD 318

So, I was checking out the JD paint and it looks like the pain they sell that comes in a can is what I would be spraying on with a compressor fed spray gun....what would be the advantage? I guess if I can get away with a couple of cans of spray paint, I'd rather do that. I'm not sure I want to add hundreds of dollars into this mower, just something to spruce it up a bit.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
So, I was checking out the JD paint and it looks like the pain they sell that comes in a can is what I would be spraying on with a compressor fed spray gun....what would be the advantage? I guess if I can get away with a couple of cans of spray paint, I'd rather do that. I'm not sure I want to add hundreds of dollars into this mower, just something to spruce it up a bit.
It really depends on what end result you want. If you just want it to be green, go ahead and use the spray can paint. Just know that, inside of a couple years, it will be completely faded and probably chipping off.

You can also spray on regular paint from John Deere, and get similar results.

The main difference - while still being relatively cheap - is adding a catalyzing enamel hardner to acrylic enamel. The hardner is what gives it the gloss, and will help it last a lot longer.

I guess it really depends on what you want to spend, and what result you want. The cheapest route would be to buy a couple cans of spray paint, and a can of primer, for about $8 each, and paint away. Total of about $25? It'll be okay for awhile, but won't be too good. If you go the route of acrylic enamel with catalyzed hardner, you'll probably spend $50 - $75, but will have a better end result.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #9

Painting a JD 318

well, I guess if its only a matter of 30 bucks or so, I might as well do it the right way.

any recommendations on brands of acrylic enamel?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
well, I guess if its only a matter of 30 bucks or so, I might as well do it the right way.

any recommendations on brands of acrylic enamel?
Sorry, but no, I don't have any brands in mind. It has been quite a few years since I really did any amount of automotive-type painting.

I used to use a lot of DuPont Imron stuff. It was a little cheaper than their top-end paints, and was designed more for fleets. I'm not even sure what auto parts stores would sell it anymore.

If you have a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) near you, you can get their Valspar Tractor & Implement Enamel. http://valsparglobal.com/val/resident/valspar_imp.jsp
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
Sorry, but no, I don't have any brands in mind. It has been quite a few years since I really did any amount of automotive-type painting.

I used to use a lot of DuPont Imron stuff. It was a little cheaper than their top-end paints, and was designed more for fleets. I'm not even sure what auto parts stores would sell it anymore.

If you have a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) near you, you can get their Valspar Tractor & Implement Enamel. http://valsparglobal.com/val/resident/valspar_imp.jsp
I do have a TSC about 15 minutes away. So, do I add a hardener to the product that you linked, or can I just purchase that and spray? Didn't know if I need to thin it at all, or add anything to it.

Would I mix something like this: http://www.shopgreendealer.com/paint...eerepaint.aspx with the paint

Last edited by cibula11; 09-13-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
I do have a TSC about 15 minutes away. So, do I add a hardener to the product that you linked, or can I just purchase that and spray? Didn't know if I need to thin it at all, or add anything to it.
Most definitely add the hardner. That will make all the difference in the world! And you'll want a gallon of whatever thinner they recommend.

Actually, a quart of the enamel should be more than enough, though I honestly don't know if you can buy just a quart.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
Most definitely add the hardner. That will make all the difference in the world! And you'll want a gallon of whatever thinner they recommend.

Actually, a quart of the enamel should be more than enough, though I honestly don't know if you can buy just a quart.
Any idea of the ratio of hardener, enamel and thinner?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Painting a JD 318

Quote:
Any idea of the ratio of hardener, enamel and thinner?
No, but the cans will include instructions.

You can go online and pretty much figure out what it's going to cost at TSC. So before just going and buying this, I'd suggest checking at a local auto parts store. You might be surprised, and you might find somebody that knows some of the ins and outs of this kind of painting.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #15

Painting a JD 318

Found this while searching: http://valsparglobal.com/val/residen...tion/index.jsp

specified for sprayers and used with hardeners....for only about $25-30. Might be worth it.