Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Iron Fence

I am looking to repaint my driveway entry gate this spring and am looking for the most efficient way to do it; obviously I want the best results as well. The gate was installed 2-3 years ago and is in great shape. There are no obvious rust spots, so prep should be minimal (good washing, etc..). I'm aware that most people paint these with brush/small roller, but I was wondering about the possibility of spraying. I have a large compressor, capable of handling the task, but don't any HVLP type guns. Is spraying a good option or not? Any advice is appreciated? Scott

simeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Painting Iron Fence

Got a pic?

I'm no expert, but I've painted a lot of small stuff with rattle cans. It seems to me spraying would waste an awful lot of paint.
You also want to consider what is nearby that will get painted as well (unintentionally).

A paint mitt might be an option.

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Painting Iron Fence

Post a pic.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Painting Iron Fence

You'd be surprised how fast it would go with a Whiz roller.Hardly any brush work required if it's what I think it is.Yes, please post a pic.
Gymschu (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Iron Fence

If it is in great shape? Why do you feel the need to paint it?

If it is metal and factory finish other than electroplate or something you should use a rust inhibiting or even a rust converting paint product. If you were my client, I would offer to nail you suggesting to prep and prime it with such a product and then put a rust inhibiting product over the top.

You might not see the oxidation but I promise it is there.

Rustoleum makes some great products for this in rattle cans so Blondsense is dead on in the suggestion for use on small projects. You could use your pressure spraying equipment but you will have most of the paint on the dog, sheep and trained attack chickens in the yard, cars in neighborhing driveways, etc. Frankly, if it is just a gate, I would use a brush to make sure you get the rust inhibitor/convertor product where it needs to be.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #6

Painting Iron Fence

i've never used a paint mitt, but it seems like the finish would be mediocre, no? Here is a pic of the fence.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Iron Fence-photo.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Iron Fence

Again I ask if it needs to be painted? Obviously I am not seeing concerns you have close up.

You look to have straight edges. A nice angled sash brush and some decent primer than paint with two of you working on either side? A few hours excluding prep. If you must do it alone and chase around to catch drips on the other side as you go. 3/4 of day including cleanup.

I guess a small roller could work but I would worry about foam unless specifically marked as useable for solvent based paints. Solvents could eat away at the foam as you work if not of the proper kind. I would use a fabric roller if you go the roller route. You are probably in oil product based territory for painting a metal fence.

I have honestly never seen anybody paint with a mitt. There is a pro painter on this site that admits he paints with no pants. Maybe he uses painting mitts too? I guess the concept could work but not for me!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Painting Iron Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Again I ask if it needs to be painted? Obviously I am not seeing concerns you have close up.

You look to have straight edges. A nice angled sash brush and some decent primer than paint with two of you working on either side? A few hours excluding prep. If you must do it alone and chase around to catch drips on the other side as you go. 3/4 of day including cleanup.

I guess a small roller could work but I would worry about foam unless specifically marked as useable for solvent based paints. Solvents could eat away at the foam as you work if not of the proper kind. I would use a fabric roller if you go the roller route. You are probably in oil product based territory for painting a metal fence.

I have honestly never seen anybody paint with a mitt. There is a pro painter on this site that admits he paints with no pants. Maybe he uses painting mitts too? I guess the concept could work but not for me!

never
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #9

Painting Iron Fence

sdsester - you are right that the gate isn't in dire straights, but i thought while its still healthy and rust free i would give it a fresh finish and fresh layer of protection from this houston weather. i didn't think i would need another coat of primer though, am i wrong? also, i am not sure if it's latex or solvent base paint on there now. it occured to me to get a rustoleum quart for use with a brush on the majority of the fence and the a couple of rattle cans to match, for the rings, joints, etc...
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Iron Fence

Always good to do paint maintenance. There is no reason to prime the surface if you don't see any signs of oxidation. You must prep though but I suspect you know that. You want the gate spotlessly clean as you can make it. And you should probably take a piece of wet/dry fine grit paper to it first to give you a surface for the paint to adhere to.

Great looking gate by the way. Are you sure you want to make painting it a regular chore though? Have you priced what it would cost to electrofinish it? You might be surprised. You still have to watch for rust and metal fatique but electro finishing for things like gates you have does make some sense in the long term.

Not to talk you out of a DIY project that gives you quiet time from she who must be obeyed. Do remember to turn your cell phone off or she will find you doing nothing but painting a gate. When you could be going with her to shop for shoes. And did you walk the tiny rat sized dog, with pink bow in its hair, and take the trash out before you started this gate painting thing?

Last edited by user1007; 03-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #11

Painting Iron Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeltzer View Post
sdsester - you are right that the gate isn't in dire straights, but i thought while its still healthy and rust free i would give it a fresh finish and fresh layer of protection from this houston weather. i didn't think i would need another coat of primer though, am i wrong? also, i am not sure if it's latex or solvent base paint on there now. it occured to me to get a rustoleum quart for use with a brush on the majority of the fence and the a couple of rattle cans to match, for the rings, joints, etc...
Hey Simeltzer...

Of all the elements, direct sunlight is the most harmful of all to a paint film...so, your thought of applying a protective coating before it's actually needed is not bad thinking.

Unless paint has worn off to bare, or rusting is an issue, no primer is gonna be necessary. As someone mentioned earlier in this post though, oxidation has occurred (in the form of chalk) and should be dealt with by detergent cleaning. Once cleaned, rinsed and dried thoroughly, I'd personally recommend using a rust-inhibitive acrylic (latex) satin, or gloss finish in whatever color you choose (from your pic it looks like bronze tone) - regardless what the previous finish was. Rust Inhibitive acrylics (sometimes referred to as DTM, or Direct to Metal) have amazing adhesion and will adhere directly to alkyd (oil) finishes without the use of any tie-coat primer. The other advantages to the acrylic finish are oxidation (chalking) will not happen as quickly as with alkyds, acrylics hold their color and gloss far longer than will their alkyd counter-parts, acrylics dry, and cure, faster than alkyds, acrylics won't provide a food source for mildew as alkyds will, soap and water clean-up, more environmentally friendly, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know if Rustoleum still makes an acrylic rust inhibitive enamel, but there are many other brands that do (both regional and national brands) - my suggestion, ask your local independent paint dealer for his or her product recommendation. Good luck, let us know how things work out.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
simeltzer (04-02-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #12

Painting Iron Fence

right you are sdsester, thx again for the advice. fortunately i dodged the pink bowed chihuahua. in fact, i gotta have the gate looking cause i got these guys on the other side of it
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
JOATMON

Painting Iron Fence

Nice looking gate.....and dogs.....

However....that driveway......that would be 'my' next project......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Iron Fence

I don't think I have seen a picture of more worthless watch dogs in ages. No wonder you want to keep your gate in good order. Can they even be motivated to bark if something is wrong or do they just do a lot of licking and tail wagging?

Last edited by user1007; 03-30-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #15

Painting Iron Fence

Yea, that gate looks fine already. I also noticed the grass looks nicely groomed and green...what's with that bald tree though haha.

JoeTheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote