Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Share |

Painting Investment Property

I am in the process of renovating my first investment property and have some paint related questions. To give you snapshot of my situation/needs:
1. I want to select paint products/colors that I can use on all my flips so I don't have to go through the paint selection process for each house.
2. I want to be as cost effective as possible
3. I want the paint to appeal to the general population in Massachusetts

My questions:
1. If I use a high quality paint (i.e., Ben Moore) can you usually get away with less coats on interior walls (newly plastered or over old paint).
2. Does tinting the prime to the finish color save on # of coats?
3. What kind of paints would you recommend for interior and exterior considering my situation?
4. Do you think a 3 color paint scheme on the interior would work well - 1 paint color for the kitchen, dining room, & living room, 1 paint color for all bathrooms and 1 paint color for all bedrooms?
5. Does the following sound reasonable - walls: flat, trim: semi-gloss, ceiling: flat

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

jls944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls944 View Post
I am in the process of renovating my first investment property and have some paint related questions. To give you snapshot of my situation/needs:
1. I want to select paint products/colors that I can use on all my flips so I don't have to go through the paint selection process for each house.
most paint stores will keep your color selections on file and where they are used such as trim or walls.
dont rent to dirt bags.
cant help you there, never been.
My questions:
1. If I use a high quality paint (i.e., Ben Moore) can you usually get away with less coats on interior walls (newly plastered or over old paint).
absolutely.
sometimes if it is a full color change or a deep base paint.
3. What kind of paints would you recommend for interior and exterior considering my situation?
i dont do houses, someone else will have to chime in on this one.
4. Do you think a 3 color paint scheme on the interior would work well - 1 paint color for the kitchen, dining room, & living room, 1 paint color for all bathrooms and 1 paint color for all bedrooms?
depends on the style of house, layout, clientele, personal preference,ect...i like full flowing single color with bright white trim.
5. Does the following sound reasonable - walls: flat, trim: semi-gloss, ceiling: flat
semi-gloss will hold up better on walls and will be easier to maintain than flat.

dont use cheap paint. and get more advise from house painters.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Quote:

My questions:

There are a whole lot of variables that will completely change any answers. The color combinations that look good on/in one style of house will not look as good on something different. Also, there really isn't a "general population of Massachusetts in regard to color combos. Everyone has their own tastes.

- It's pretty much assumed that you'll prime and put on 2 coats of paint, regardless of what paint you're using.

- Tinting your primer can help with hide, but then you're limiting your primer to whatever color you're using in any particular room. In other words, it's cheaper to buy one 5-gallon pail of primer than 5 1-gallon pails. You'll have to decide whether or not it's worth it.

- Lots of people like flat paint on their walls. It hides imperfections better, and can give a room a little warmer feel. Personally, I prefer an eggshell or maybe even a satin sheen. Semi-gloss is pretty standard for trim, and I rarely use anything but ceiling paint on ceilings.

- Regarding which brand of paint to use, a whole lot of guys here are going to yell at you if you even so much as hint at the possibility that you might use something other than SW of BM. Even so, your selection of paint brand & quality really boils down to what you want, and what you're willing to pay for it. Just remember that, for the most part, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by DrHicks; 07-24-2011 at 06:27 PM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

All good comments. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Excellent! I've tried to recommend that to others over the years, to little avail. Their units are a confused mess of colors/finishes. They "think" they're saving money by buying whatever is cheapest at the moment, instead of thinking long term. This for rentals.
Use a contractor's grade finish, not the bottom option though. SW Promar 2 or 400, BM Super Spec, MAB Fresh Kote, etc. The bottom option is better at the register, but not in the long run.
Standard off whites that every manufacturer offers will appeal to the general public. Simple. Many will provide enough contrast against straight white.

My questions:
That's tough to guarantee, as you don't know what you'll have to cover, and with what the govt is doing to VOCs, it's even harder. Coverage is being reduced.
It helps. A good paint job is the best decoration you can put in a place, it's also the least expensive. A skimpy paint job is noticeable and doesn't put your best foot forward. Two coats is your best foot.
For a flip it sounds good. But, a lot of flips turned flops and are now rentals. For a rental I would do all the same sheens in the same color. Baths and kitchen one color, all other walls another color. Simple. People are looking more for clean looking move in ready walls, and are less concerned with varying colors.
Kitchens and baths, minimum sheen for moisture exposure, eggshell, satin, semi. The rest sounds fine.

For the price of painting, a good job will give a great bang for the buck. You sound like your on the right track.
Are you doing white ceilings/trim?
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

That's great, thanks Joe. Yes, I am doing white ceilings and trim. I like the comment about eggshell in the kitchen and baths. I've heard a lot of people are doing that.