Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

Painting interior walls of a new home

We are buying a brand new home from a local builder and plan on painting the walls ourselves with a color of our choice. The builder would have already painted a neutral color. The walls will have fresh paint when we move-in.

Question is, will we need to prime the walls once again before applying the colored coat?

shuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Finisher

You shouldn't have to prime again, unless you plan on using red or orange. Even then, using a high quality paint (read Benjamin Moore Aura or Equivalent) with excellent hide should provide sufficient coverage. Stay away from big box store brand paints - they are often misleading. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

But the Sherwood William paints are expensive, arent they? Upwards of 30 bucks I would presume?

Also, we cant come to a decision on what color paint to go with for this room. This is formal livign and dining which will house Brown leather sofa.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Painting interior walls of a new home-pc112120.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Finisher

I can't advise you on color, that is a personal choice. However that is a very nice home you have built from what I can see

I do not have Sherwin Williams here, as SW is a US company. You will have a BM dealer there however, as BM is both Canada and US. I recommend BM. And yes, SW is good quality paint, but you will find $30 probably won't buy their cheapest paints/primers.

Expect to pay upwards of $60-90 (tax in)/gallon on a quality paint. Any cheaper, and you will be applying a paint quailty less than your builder paint quality.

Last edited by Rcon; 12-11-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
New Look Painting & Textu

if you are in the states sw classic 99 will be around $32.00 Gallon. Will cover around 350 Sqft per Gallon 1 Coat. The cheap box store stuff might get you 200-250 sqft per gallon with a lot more problems. Sw. Ben Moore, or Porter paints will give you a better finish with less coats. Paint store paints will also last longer than box store paints.
voiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I use both Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore with a preference for the latter. Both companies offer lines of excellent contractor grade paints that are still a lot better than box store brands and will save you about $10 gallon. They are not 100 percent acrylic though so will not have the washability, etc. of the top of the line paints.

A paint store may be willing to cut you some slack and extend a discount if you are buying lots of paint so do not be afraid to ask. Benjamin Moore stores seem especially good about this. Watch for sales and coupons too.

As for colors for your space? Both SW and Ben Moore have virtual painting visualizers you can play with on their websites before you even touch a can of paint. The Ben Moore one will even let you import your own photos if you have the patience to mask them. Otherwise pick a similar room and have fun.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

But the Sherwood William paints are expensive, arent they? Upwards of 30 bucks I would presume?

This question has always intrigued me. You paid what for you home,300 to $800,000 or more and know you are complaining about the cost of paint and thinking of using cheap box store stuff. The reasoning here just completely baffles me. The paint or wall paper you apply now( if quality) will last 10 to 30 years and is something you have to live with as long as you own your home, you are going to be looking at it every day and you are thinking of putting inferior paint on your walls,unbelievable.It appears that it is a very valuable home, way would you want to cheapen it with inferior paint? If it were mine I would be buying the absolute best out there. This is hopefully your last major( somewhat) expense. Hire a pro and get him or her to apply the BEST paint ( Aura from Ben Moore would be my choice) and live happily ever after.If you are not an experienced painter you will most likely not do a quality job that a professional painter will do thus decreasing the value of your home not increasing it.
My rant is now over, please consider doing this the right way,IT IS YOUR HOME!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
Expect to pay upwards of $60-90 (tax in)/gallon on a quality paint. Any cheaper, and you will be applying a paint quailty less than your builder paint quality.
It is not nearly this expensive yet except for a few highly specialized industrial coatings! As has been mentioned though, buy good paint and tools or better yet hire someone to do the job right if there is any doubt painting is not your thing or the project is beyond your abilities. No reason to screw up such a nice home with bad box store paint and a bad paint job.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #9

OK. So after advice from all the nice folks out here I visited the Sherwin William store today. Harmony seems to be about $32/ga. The reason cost is a factor is because I have 2700 sq ft to paint. A 2 coat finish would require approximately 25 gallons. Is that right?

But if this paint will give me more coverage than the big store brands, then I do have 2 good reasons to pay more I guess!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuss View Post
OK. So after advice from all the nice folks out here I visited the Sherwin William store today. Harmony seems to be about $32/ga. The reason cost is a factor is because I have 2700 sq ft to paint. A 2 coat finish would require approximately 25 gallons. Is that right?

But if this paint will give me more coverage than the big store brands, then I do have 2 good reasons to pay more I guess!
Paint is very expensive, as are the materials and supplies needed for the job. This is one reason professional painters charge as much as they do.

2700 square feet of wall will require approximately 15-18 gallons of paint, depending on # of coats and on your particular paint spread rate.

I guess paint is cheaper in the US, because here in Canada (BC) a high quality wall paint (i.e. AURA) retails at over $70 per gallon before tax. Farrow and Ball can cost upwards of $90+/gallon, before taxes.

Unfortunately we do not have a Sherwin Williams here, so I am totally unfamiliar with their paints. What I can tell you is that you probably already have a better paint quality on your walls than your $32/gallon SW paint. It could very well be SW on your walls already, but pro's tend to use 'tried and true' quality paints, usually mid to high line. If what i've heard about SW is correct, the paints that pros use from SW start at around $42.99/gal.

I agree with chrisn, hiring a pro is probably a better option. If you don't, at least spend some of the money you're saving by DIY on a high quality paint that will look good and last a long time. They are also much easier to use.

But at least you're not using big orange store paints

Last edited by Rcon; 12-13-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuss View Post

Did you tell them you were painting all of 2700 and they would not cut you any discount? Did you try Ben Moore store instead? Be bold. I cannot imagine any paint store not willing to give you at least 15 percent of retail if you ask nicely, but firmly. You need to ask for it though.

Don't know what colors you are painting so cannot tell how much you need.

And nice paint is not only going to give you more coverage, you are really going to like it better.

Speaking of which again? Who is going to be living in this house of yours? Anybody likely to go crazy with crayons on the walls? Need to wash slimey peanut butter fingerprints from a five year old off? If not, and while I would prefer to use SW Harmony or Ben Moore Aura, I would have no qualms putting two coats of Sherwin Williams Pro Mar or Ben Moore Super Spec, contractor grades, on your walls if you really need to save $10/gallon. It is really nice paint and could last you until you grow tired of the colors. Comes in butt ugly or I guess generic looking cans though.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #12

I believe what the builder uses is Frazee paint. I am leaning towards SW Harmony now that I also read that it is low VOC (sycamore Tan or Hopsack colors). Is second a must with this guy? The $32/ga was with a 10% preferred member account. But I will try to get more discount.

This is definitely a DIY since the tile job, pool and down payment are eating our savings. Paint is the only job we can handle on our own...I think Could use pointers on the best tools to make our job easier. Will search this forum for it.

Should the second coat be on the same day?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Good brushes would be a start. 2-1/2 inch angled sash brushes would be a good investment---$15-20 each retail Purdy's, Woosters, etc. The bags of cheap Chinese things at the box stores for $5 are not the same thing.

Nice tarps to protect the floors and not cheap plastic ones.

As safe as ladders can be for your climbing work. Don't skimp. You will need them for the house anyhow. Do not think you can get away with paying $30 for a wooden stepladder for your house! By, rent, borrow nice ones for your new house.

I love my no crawl roller handles.

I seldom use it but newbies need it? High quality 3M painters tape.

Ventilation always. This whole VOC thing bothers me because your new carpet and furniture will give off more than any paint you choose. But give yourself some airflow when working with any paint.

Clean, rinsed out, soft damp rag always handy. I have never ever needed one but have heard from others who paint that sometimes paint can spill, drip or splatter in the best of hands?

I keep razor blades handy in case my other personality goofs and gets a bit of paint on windows when doing the frames. I love the plastic ones that look like metal ones because they do not rust.

Paint can keys and stirring sticks seem to come in handy for me on a daily basis. I chop off the stirring sticks for clients so they have the actual painted color to shop for things like drapes, furniture and all by the way. The cans of paint used have traceable formulas but clients can also drag the sir sticks and have paint mixed anywhere with a scanner.

I wouldn't paint 2700 sf on my own without demanding a name brand cap or two from the paint manufacturer and maybe a teeshirt too.

Painter's whites make me feel part of something big. I would get some.

You should never paint out of or return paint you have worked with to the original container. Hit the dollar store and find convenient shapes of plastic containers that work for you when it comes to pouring out paint.

As for racing recoating? Depends on humidity and such. I like to wait a day if I can with latex. Remember it takes 30 to fully cure. This is especially true of sem-gloss.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Good brushes would be a start. 2-1/2 inch angled sash brushes would be a good investment---$15-20 each retail Purdy's, Woosters, etc. The bags of cheap Chinese things at the box stores for $5 are not the same thing.

Nice tarps to protect the floors and not cheap plastic ones.

As safe as ladders can be for your climbing work. Don't skimp. You will need them for the house anyhow. Do not think you can get away with paying $30 for a wooden stepladder for your house! By, rent, borrow nice ones for your new house.

I love my no crawl roller handles.

I seldom use it but newbies need it? High quality 3M painters tape.

Ventilation always. This whole VOC thing bothers me because your new carpet and furniture will give off more than any paint you choose. But give yourself some airflow when working with any paint.

Clean, rinsed out, soft damp rag always handy. I have never ever needed one but have heard from others who paint that sometimes paint can spill, drip or splatter in the best of hands?

I keep razor blades handy in case my other personality goofs and gets a bit of paint on windows when doing the frames. I love the plastic ones that look like metal ones because they do not rust.

Paint can keys and stirring sticks seem to come in handy for me on a daily basis. I chop off the stirring sticks for clients so they have the actual painted color to shop for things like drapes, furniture and all by the way. The cans of paint used have traceable formulas but clients can also drag the sir sticks and have paint mixed anywhere with a scanner.

I wouldn't paint 2700 sf on my own without demanding a name brand cap or two from the paint manufacturer and maybe a teeshirt too.

Painter's whites make me feel part of something big. I would get some.

You should never paint out of or return paint you have worked with to the original container. Hit the dollar store and find convenient shapes of plastic containers that work for you when it comes to pouring out paint.

As for racing recoating? Depends on humidity and such. I like to wait a day if I can with latex. Remember it takes 30 to fully cure. This is especially true of sem-gloss.
Very good advice

I'd add a few 15 mil nap roller sleeves, wooster roller cage(s) (the best), a couple of empty 5 gallon pails for cleaning equipment (don't clean paint in stainless steel sinks), a spinner, some good extension poles (no cheap wooden ones - you'll despise them), pole sander and head, lots of sandpaper, sanding sponges, drywall joint compound, putty knives (metal, richards preferrably), razor blades, wire brush, paint tray and several liners (simms is good), and a lot of coffee.

You're about to tackle a big job. Expect to spend upwards of 100 hours on it.

Last edited by Rcon; 12-13-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
some good extension poles (no cheap wooden ones - you'll despise them), and a lot of coffee.
I actually have a set of solid ash extension pole things that I screw together and use for different reach situation where I only need another foot or so. They cost like $30 though not like the stuff box stores sell for $7. As suggested, my nice aluminum extension poles were well worth what I paid for them. You will need good ones for not only painting but doing windows?

One of the box stores here sells name brand canned coffee cheaper than any surrounding grocery store from what I hear. Scares me. I really do not want them in that business. But then, the major megachurch near has a Starbuck's in it in the lobby.

Last edited by user1007; 12-13-2009 at 02:34 AM.